The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpeg
Okay, I've been on a bit of a tear lately and just bought my 3rd Marshall in 8 days. I recently sold some of my stuff that wasn't being used and some cool Marshall stuff came up.

Anyway, I was searching for a nice cab to replace my Jubilee Cab and a buddy of mine was selling his 1960AHW cab. He then told me he wanted to sell his Original and very clean '79 JMP 2203. I went to see it yesterday thinking that I'd probably just grab the cab and think about the JMP. Then he plugged in his R9, turned the Master up to noon and played a few riffs. Literally the first chord put a big grin on my face and I reached into my pocket for the cash! I had never heard a 2203 before and was blown away. Dessert Island tone for an old rocker like me.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
image.jpeg
The cab is terrific. They come with the old school metal handles, birch ply and Heritage G12-30h speakers. They look sexy too...

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks brand new.
Yeah, I would say dead mint if it weren't for a couple tiny marks on the faceplate. Incredible condition and even more incredible tone!

Reactions: MS41R8

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
I'm kind of glad I've never tried one (at least not that I can recall) because I do like my JCM800 2203 :p

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read that they are the same as the 800's so you must have great tone! I'd never even heard the 800 2203- not even the re-issue.

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
I read that they are the same as the 800's so you must have great tone! I'd never even heard the 800 2203- not even the re-issue.
My understanding is that there's a few part changes to go from your plexi to my 800. I asked a tech friend if it was a difficult mod after my bandmate came back raving about a band's live tone haha.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you boost for leads? I have a Klon KTR, an OCD, a Boss sd-1 and an Xotic EP. Today I'm going to see which one goes best with the JMP.

Reactions: TubeStack

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
Do you boost for leads? I have a Klon KTR, an OCD, a Boss sd-1 and an Xotic EP. Today I'm going to see which one goes best with the JMP.
I actually run my 2203 clean, and use my OCD for light drive. The volume almost max, drive nearly off - traditional "boost a gain channel" settings. I use a micro amp to bump up from there (running almost full tilt). The EHX gives an "everything" boost, since I run all pedals out front.

Edit: I dunno what you're after, but if you set the JMP to a little bit of hair but relatively clean, and then use the OCD for a bit more drive (try everything at noon for kicks) you might like it. I like the OCD because it has all the drive I need for the band or my own personal stuff.

·
Registered
329 Posts
View attachment 97289 Okay, I've been on a bit of a tear lately and just bought my 3rd Marshall in 8 days. I recently sold some of my stuff that wasn't being used and some cool Marshall stuff came up.

Anyway, I was searching for a nice cab to replace my Jubilee Cab and a buddy of mine was selling his 1960AHW cab. He then told me he wanted to sell his Original and very clean '79 JMP 2203. I went to see it yesterday thinking that I'd probably just grab the cab and think about the JMP. Then he plugged in his R9, turned the Master up to noon and played a few riffs. Literally the first chord put a big grin on my face and I reached into my pocket for the cash! I had never heard a 2203 before and was blown away. Dessert Island tone for an old rocker like me.
Very Nice!!
I have the little sister 1980 JMP 2204

Attachments

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Very Nice!!
I have the little sister 1980 JMP 2204
Awesome! I love 2204, I had a an late 80's head and cab about 4 years ago but had to sell because we were moving across the province in a Rented U-Hual.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually run my 2203 clean, and use my OCD for light drive. The volume almost max, drive nearly off - traditional "boost a gain channel" settings. I use a micro amp to bump up from there (running almost full tilt). The EHX gives an "everything" boost, since I run all pedals out front.

Edit: I dunno what you're after, but if you set the JMP to a little bit of hair but relatively clean, and then use the OCD for a bit more drive (try everything at noon for kicks) you might like it. I like the OCD because it has all the drive I need for the band or my own personal stuff.
Thanks Budda, I'll try that out tonight!

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
There's something special about a good old SD-1 into a JMP! I have had good results with many different od/boosts with mine. I've got a '79 2104 combo.

Oh and the low input is KILLER for dirt & fuzz pedals!

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, I went and bought an SD-1 to goose the front end of Super Leads but I've read they are magic in front of 2203 and 2204 type circuits.

Reactions: SurfGreenTele

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
JMP 2203/2204 and JCM 2203/2204 are identical circuit wise.

(with the exception that some 1976 2203s had less gain due to a parallel vs series gain stage).

Legend has it that JMPs had a warmer tone due to a lower plate voltage but I can neither prove nor disprove it.

Later 85+ 2203s got less electrolytic caps as a cost savings move (sound difference is debatable).

Either way - enjoy the JMP, my favorite looking Marshall by far.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

(with the exception that some 1976 2203s had less gain due to a parallel vs series gain stage).

Legend has it that JMPs had a warmer tone due to a lower plate voltage but I can neither prove nor disprove it.

Later 85+ 2203s got less electrolytic caps as a cost savings move (sound difference is debatable).

Thanks SG-Rocker!

·
Registered
329 Posts

SG-Rock excellent info

·
Registered
724 Posts
View attachment 97289 Okay, I've been on a bit of a tear lately and just bought my 3rd Marshall in 8 days. I recently sold some of my stuff that wasn't being used and some cool Marshall stuff came up.

Just a beautiful setup - wow! Congratulations and enjoy!

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks TubeStack, I'm really digging it!

Reactions: TubeStack
1 - 20 of 29 Posts