The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a two week wait this guy finally came in.

1964 Fender Princeton .

And wow was it worth the wait . I have been searching for a Brownface Princeton and when this one popped up I had to get it as I absolutely love the Tuxedo era Fenders and of course it has all the brownface era insides . 6G2 circuit all untouched besides the mandatory 3 prong plug .

It plays very very well and has no hisses or pops . Tubes are Mullard and Sylvania which I think are original to it ???

The tremolo is sooo nice and pulsates perfectly .

If anybody is contemplating a princeton...DO it ! This is going to start coming to small duo gigs with me . Will probably make a great pairing with my tele's . I'm a huge Marty Stuart fan and he and Kenny Vaughan use them live almost constantly .

Speaker is original as well .

Now to find a tweed Princeton....!!!

Thanks for checking it out . If you see anything you may know about about it or a Princeton that I don't , please let me know . I have a lot more pics ...lol

IMG_2775.JPG

IMG_2774.JPG
IMG_2781.JPG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Awesome amp, congrats!!!

Reactions: MS41R8

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Nice find!
About a thousand years ago, even before I had a driver's licence, I had one just like that. Bought it new for $110, a vast fortune in the days of working weekends at the car wash for $1.00 per hour. Played a lot of Ventures stuff through it.
I've never seen another one like it (white knobs, no reverb) until now.
Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Nice find!
About a thousand years ago, even before I had a driver's licence, I had one just like that. Bought it new for $110, a vast fortune in the days of working weekends at the car wash for $1.00 per hour. Played a lot of Ventures stuff through it.
I've never seen another one like it (white knobs, no reverb) until now.
Enjoy!
Wow. Great story . That's ALOT of carwashing !

As soon as I found this I knew I needed to collect it . Not many of them around and they were made for only a limited time before they went to full Blackface .

Anybody know how long the tuxedos lasted ?

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Yassss Queen! That amp is lit!!! It's legit, not for noobs. I think that's what the kids say these days.

I have the same amp in brownface ('62) and it's going with me to my grave. Did you snag the one from TGS in Pt. Credit that had a drastic price drop? Love the tuxedo look. Congrats & enjoy that chewy trem & power tube crunch at reasonable volume.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yassss Queen! That amp is lit!!! It's legit, not for noobs. I think that's what the kids say these days.

I have the same amp in brownface ('62) and it's going with me to my grave. Did you snag the one from TGS in Pt. Credit that had a drastic price drop? Love the tuxedo look. Congrats & enjoy that chewy trem & power tube crunch at reasonable volume.
You nailed it !!! To the grave ...!

I got it out of Jacksonville,Florida through a gear contact .

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
What speaker is in yours? Mine came with a RI Jensen that reminded me of my ex-wife's mother (shrill & farty) so on the advice of a well-respected amp tech I put in an Emi Lil Buddy. Solved the shrill problem but a little too dark with HBs, so now it has a Gold & I'm quite happy.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What speaker is in yours? Mine came with a RI Jensen that reminded me of my ex-wife's mother (shrill & farty) so on the advice of a well-respected amp tech I put in an Emi Lil Buddy. Solved the shrill problem but a little too dark with HBs, so now it has a Gold & I'm quite happy.
I believe it's an Oxford 10j4. Sounds good for now . I know there are many upgrade/improvement options but I have no issue with what it's doing now .

The Celestion Golds are pretty nice speakers though. It's a tempting thought

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
very nice amp, congrats!!

I have a PR clone I bought from StevieMac a few years back...it's a killer amp. thanks again Steve!

Reactions: MS41R8

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I believe it's an Oxford 10j4. Sounds good for now . I know there are many upgrade/improvement options but I have no issue with what it's doing now .

The Celestion Golds are pretty nice speakers though. It's a tempting thought
Don't mess with it if you have the original speaker. Mine had already been swapped so there was no need to be precious about it. Plugged the amp into a 112 ext. cab that was loaded with a Gold & liked it so much I found a 10" for the Princeton. I'd also tried a Weber P10Q but the Gold had a nice chime & "held together" better when pushed.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Yes, great amps. I had a tuxedo 6G2. I sold it @sambonee, a member here. I promptly proceed to build my own clone in a head format. It's still sitting as shown in the pic below.

Awesome little amps. As mentioned, the pulsing bias wiggle trem is excellent. I have been busy with other projects, and the amp plays and sounds amazing. So I keep putting other jobs in front of it. Made my own face plate here. Home built cab. It'll be dressed in BF tolex and aged grill cloth.

One great feature of the 6G2 is it's lower volume when cranked up to full break up. Fender had so many amazing vintage amps, it's hard to pick a top favourite. I'd have to say there are at least 10 vintage Fenders that are the best of them all. I may just have to say that the 6G2 is my favourite Princeton of them all. The Princeton Reverb that followed the 6G2 gets the majority of love and attention. The 6G2 is a mighty good one, in it's own unique way.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
The 6G2 started out as a brown series amp. I believe it was introduced in 1961. As Fender was always evolving, and new series of amps were coming out, the Blackface series was well on it's way by early 1964. I assume the Reverb BF version of the Princeton was not quite ready for release by first half of 1964. So it appears Fender decided to dress up the 6G2 in black tolex to match the new line up of BF amps rolling out of the factory. I guess the thought was the brown knobs did not look right with the black tolex, so they went with creme. The faceplate surely matched the BF era amps. The amp was transitioning from Brown to Blackface, in stages it would seem. With the black tolex and white knobs it's nickname was earned, the "Tuxedo" Princeton. Like a black suit with a white bow tie I guess. So for about 6 months, the Tuxedo Princeton was built. A brief period in Fender history. Today is seems odd that they dropped such a great circuit so soon. However at the time, reverb was all the rage. The Princeton had to be updated and completely re-designed. Those owning one today hold an awesome piece of Fender history.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
A laser cutter was used. A 6G2 replica faceplate was scanned, then used Corel Draw to create the software template.
I can cut more faceplates for anyone needing, however the "Fender and Princeton" text will not be offered for legal reasons.
Just the one built for me gets the Fender lettering.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts