The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$2 at yard sale yesterday. 1962 Hitachi WH-817 "Peggy". I noticed it had an "External Input". That's unusual.

.2 watts (point two) of power. Just loud enough to hear how crappy it sounds...

Build quality. At $46 in 1962 this thing was a week's wages for many people. "Solid" state for sure. Although the old batteries leaked, they were in plastic tubes that protected the radio.

$2 for the radio with leather case, and $12 for batteries to find out how terrible it sounds as a guitar amp! This is my idea of fun.

Short wave bands could fun at night at camp. Input for antenna up in a tree.

IMG_0393.JPG
IMG_0394.JPG
IMG_0395.JPG

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
This harkens back to the day when the number of transistors incorporated was proudly displayed on the front bezel. We were there with the number of processors not that long ago, so I guess it's a human thing - more is bettererer.

This little puppy put Sony on the map.

upload_2017-10-14_10-38-33.jpeg

And yes, +1 for that beautiful Fury!

·
Premium Member
13,180 Posts
You must post a recording of the glorious sound that emanates from this fine piece of vintage electronics.

:rolleyes:

Reactions: KapnKrunch

·
Premium Member
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You must post a recording of the glorious sound that emanates from this fine piece of vintage electronics.

:rolleyes:
Dang! I lost this thing before making the soundclip. All I can say is that the quarter watt of power cleaned up real nice when you backed off the volume on the guitar, giving you an beautiful acoustic-like tone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts