The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
15,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Amp Coming Day :)

I have this on the way thanks to a trade with a new forumite. My first time trying a Z surprisingly. I'll be interested to see if I can stand the 10" speakers :) Should be here in a week or so.

$_59 (1).JPG

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Very cool! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Congrats!

Reactions: davetcan

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,110 Posts
New Amp Coming Day :)

I have this on the way thanks to a trade with a new forumite. My first time trying a Z surprisingly. I'll be interested to see if I can stand the 10" speakers :) Should be here in a week or so.

View attachment 167361
One of my fav amps, it's a very versatile rig. You be happy with that one as long as your wife is okay with it being loud in the house :) HAPPY NAD!

·
Administrator
15,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of my fav amps, it's a very versatile rig. You be happy with that one as long as your wife is okay with it being loud in the house :) HAPPY NAD!
She's used to it now :) "Bedroom level" has no meaning here.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
WOW!!...You always get such cool new toys! And so many!

Looking forward to your comments after you have tried it for a bit.

ENJOY!!

Cheers

Dave

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,110 Posts

·
Administrator
15,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't be fooled by the 18 watts... It's a beast!
I'm just hoping it's not too bright. That's my usual complaint with 10" speakers. If so I'll run it into a 1x12 cab and see how that sounds. If i love that I'll either get a baffle made or see if someone wants to swap a 1x12 combo for a 2x10. That's an awful lot of ifs though :)

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
She's used to it now :) "Bedroom level" has no meaning here.
Teach me.

Congrats on the new amp! I have only spent any time with one Z (maz sr head) and it had such clarity without being overbearing. I really want to try the surgical steel model.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I'm just hoping it's not too bright. That's my usual complaint with 10" speakers. If so I'll run it into a 1x12 cab and see how that sounds. If i love that I'll either get a baffle made or see if someone wants to swap a 1x12 combo for a 2x10. That's an awful lot of ifs though :)
It wont be too bright. Lots of high mid frequency without being Fender icepicky.

Teach me.

Congrats on the new amp! I have only spent any time with one Z (maz sr head) and it had such clarity without being overbearing. I really want to try the surgical steel model.
Me too! First Z I've really wanted.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
This is one amp that you should keep and compare all your other amps to.

I find that I can get the Maz to match that highlight, or that special thing that most of my amp collection does well on an individual basis, or merit of each amp. It can be that good. They call it a Swiss Army knife of amps.

The trick for me is remembering how I tweaked it and the logic, why I tweaked it that way, to achieve that tone. The other amps, I just turn on and they do that thing they do.

The Maz can be that good, but can be tough to tweak out all the possibilities on just my brain power. It is a pretty much all in there kind of amp, somewhere, and it is said that it does its own thing as well.

It is impressive with just about any guitar, with volume way beyond the advertised Watts. I have his Brake Lite mounted in my combo and find it very useful to tweak a tone.

It is the one amp that makes me wonder why I have all the others. I have a 112 combo and adding a cab can make it even more impressive.

Does yours have the foot switch and tonestack bypass?

The amp can be updated to current specs should you desire by the Dr.

·
Administrator
15,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for that info. I don't have a lot of info on the amp but from what I can see it's likely an early version, mostly from what i can see of the back. Based on that i suspect no mods. I wouldn't want to ship it to the Dr but we'll see. I was also wondering about the speakers. I would assume they were both 16 ohms and should therefore be plugged into the 8 ohm jack. Or would they be 2 x 8 ohms plugged into the 4 ohm jack leaving the other 8 ohm jack for an extension cab?

$_59 (4).JPG

This is one amp that you should keep and compare all your other amps to.

I find that I can get the Maz to match that highlight, or that special thing that most of my amp collection does well on an individual basis, or merit of each amp. It can be that good. They call it a Swiss Army knife of amps.

The trick for me is remembering how I tweaked it and the logic, why I tweaked it that way, to achieve that tone. The other amps, I just turn on and they do that thing they do.

The Maz can be that good, but can be tough to tweak out all the possibilities on just my brain power. It is a pretty much all in there kind of amp, somewhere, and it is said that it does its own thing as well.

It is impressive with just about any guitar, with volume way beyond the advertised Watts. I have his Brake Lite mounted in my combo and find it very useful to tweak a tone.

It is the one amp that makes me wonder why I have all the others. I have a 112 combo and adding a cab can make it even more impressive.

Does yours have the foot switch and tonestack bypass?

The amp can be updated to current specs should you desire by the Dr.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
The Dr. has improved the circuit for reverb, allowing more lush, giving more gain back to the amp similar to non reverb units.

The tone stack bypass mod has also been improved with a variable knob on the foot switch. I think he should, or could make it expression pedal based.

He also improved the effects loop.

I don’t know the cost, but he is a couple of hours drive for me. Someday I may consider the upgrades, or buy a newer version of the amp. Used of course, because they are so damn expensive in Canada new.

Many prefer the 210 models.

·
Administrator
15,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Dr. has improved the circuit for reverb, allowing more lush, giving more gain back to the amp similar to non reverb units.

The tone stack bypass mod has also been improved with a variable knob on the foot switch. I think he should, or could make it expression pedal based.

He also improved the effects loop.

I don’t know the cost, but he is a couple of hours drive for me. Someday I may consider the upgrades, or buy a newer version of the amp. Used of course, because they are so damn expensive in Canada new.

Many prefer the 210 models.
Well he'd have to add a loop to mine first :)

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Don't be fooled by the 18 watts... It's a beast!
I got my late 2012 Maz 18R Jr when it was 1 1/2 years old. I got it at the local L&M for what I thought was a steal. I plugged in a Strat and gave it one jagged strum. The tonestack bypass switch was engaged, the settings were right, I couldn’t get my credit card out fast enough.

I got it home and I had to do two things in the first 15 minutes. At high volume it was skating across the tile floor, and as it turned, the air this amp could push, blew most everything off of the nearby shelf. It needed rubber feet, and needs to be pointed away from loose objects that may become airborne.

If you don’t have this kind of power or are missing great tone, you may need new power tubes. I had to replace mine 6 months later. New tubes make the amp explosive for 18 Watts. You may want to changed them out every year if you use the amp a lot.

I sold off several amps once the Z showed me they were no longer going to get played. I still spend up to a month pursuing other amps that I own, due to my ears telling me to do so. Then come back to the Maz and find that same tone capability.

I have been tempted to thin down most of my gear just for the sake of space and the time I could gain playing by not maintaining the fleet.

·
Administrator
15,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well after a day spent noodling and tweaking i have to admit that this is a pretty damn wonderful amp. So much tweakability it's amazing. The first time I've EVER like 10"speakers, I'm shocked. Downside is that it is one heavy MOFO :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts