The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Amp and Speaker Day. Received my WGS Veteran 10" 20w 16 ohm speaker to day. Will go into my Saxon 1x10 closed back cab. I will be running a Vox AC4TVmini into this. The Vox has a 6,5" speaker and is the definition of boxy. But I bought it to use it as a head. 4w - 1w - 1/10w. Same as the 10" version but with 1/4w instead 1/10w. Will give this apartment setup a go around this weekend. Had things to do after the speaker arrived

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This thing is really tiny but has the same guts as the AS4TV 10" . Set it at 1/10w, volume at noon and it is full over drive at apartment levels. Tone is warmer with no boxiness using the WGS Veteran 10 in the Saxon Cab. Yet to experiment with other settings. The pedal is in the picture for size reference.

Reactions: Ti-Ron and vadsy

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay two fixes needed for this amp.

First. Plugging in the extension cabinet does not turn off the little 6.5" combo speaker. Given its position from where I played it does stand out a bit with boxy brashness. Fix. I folded a towel, and put the amp on it, speaker side down. Won't scratch the front or grill cloth and muffles the sound from the little one quite well. I just get the warmer and fuller sound from the ext. cab. Also, the control panel now faces me, which is a bit more convenient.

Second. Above 9:30, there is no such thing as just clean. I was thinking a 5751 (70%gain) or a 12AT7 (60%gain). I remember the Gibson GA5 amp I had (and the only one I wish I still had) was a little over gainy so I replaced the 12AX7 with 5751 and it tamed it quite nicely without over doing it.

Reactions: greco and vadsy

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just now the old cat decided to take nap on his favourite spot just over a metre away from speaker cab. So testing will wait, for about 20 minutes then I'll pick him up and throw him in the bedroom

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a Canadian built ATD V-Stack Tweedy OD (Pre First Act). Works nicely with the AC4TV. Tried it through my Vox Pathfinder 15r (same cab). It is a very good little SS amp, but not quite as good with pedals.

·
Premium Member
8,685 Posts

First. Plugging in the extension cabinet does not turn off the little 6.5" combo speaker. Given its position from where I played it does stand out a bit with boxy brashness. Fix. I folded a towel, and put the amp on it, speaker side down. Won't scratch the front or grill cloth and muffles the sound from the little one quite well. I just get the warmer and fuller sound from the ext. cab. Also, the control panel now faces me, which is a bit more convenient.

Second. Above 9:30, there is no such thing as just clean. I was thinking a 5751 (70%gain) or a 12AT7 (60%gain). I remember the Gibson GA5 amp I had (and the only one I wish I still had) was a little over gainy so I replaced the 12AX7 with 5751 and it tamed it quite nicely without over doing it.
I can imagine a scenario where you burn the PT because of too low ohms, though probably not - if the stock speaker is 16 and left plugged in when you add the 2nd 16 ohm speaker, the PT sees about 8 ohms. Likely can handle it, but it would be good for you to know the amp specs if you don’t already - they aren’t mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
12,184 Posts

Yes, a simple fix to correct for one of the fatal flaws of the amp. Controls mounted in the wrong location. You'd think we'd have learned from our mistakes of the 50s and early 60s, eh?

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can imagine a scenario where you burn the PT because of too low ohms, though probably not - if the stock speaker is 16 and left plugged in when you add the 2nd 16 ohm speaker, the PT sees about 8 ohms. Likely can handle it, but it would be good for you to know the amp specs if you don’t already - they aren’t mentioned above.
The ext. speaker input says 16 ohms. That is all there is on the back, and the power chord.

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SPECS:
  • Controls: Tone, Volume, OP switch
  • Output Level: 4 Watt, 1 Watt, 1/10th Watt
  • Tube Complement: 1 x 12AX7 (pre), 1 x EL84 (power)
  • Speaker: VOX Original 6.5"; 16 Î
  • In/Out Jacks: Input (¼'), External Speaker Jack (¼')
  • Output Power: 4 watt RMS 16Î
  • Dimensions (W x H x D): 260 x 280 x 170 mm / 10.24 x 11.02 x 6.69 inches
  • Weight: 13.45 lb
  • Power cable included

1 - 10 of 10 Posts