The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'd like to see all the municipalities in our province come up with similar regulations. I realize that not all parents smoke in the presence of their children but there are many who still do. Children have to be protected from those who are too ignorant to care for their health. It pisses me off to see a car pull up in a mall parking lot to see 2 adults with a cigarettes lit with kids in the back seat.

If this is what it takes to get those parents to begin to realize that cigarette smoke is extremely harmful to their kids, then so be it. Have you ever been to someone's home to see 4 to 5 adults having a smoke with toddlers crawling around the floor, with noses running and coughing.:mad: Enough rant.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
There ought to be a law with stiff penalties in every province.

At the risk of starting a flame war, I believe that smoking needs to be banned everywhere, and that's what is actually happening, gradually. It might not be evident from the smoking areas outside of highschools and offices, but fewer folks are indulging. Maybe in a generation or two it will be history.

Peace, Mooh.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If people want to find a place they can go where they are the ONLY ones affected by their smoking, then I say power to 'em....

But keep it the hell away from MY face (And I'm an occasional smoker myself)
and keep it the FK away from ANY kids.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...now that we know the risks, there is simply no excuse for smoking in the presence of children. it really should be classified as child abuse, and prosecuted as such. and, while i agree that our privacy must be respected, child abuse is a very serious issue.

-dh

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Wild Bill's going to be up in arms"
That right there aughta tell you this is probably a good idea to implement.

·
Registered
597 Posts
This ban is a no brainer good idea. When I was a kid my sister and I rode back seat long hours on the highway, both parents chain smoking up front in a small car. The air was grey, we'd be coughing.. "Daaaadd... can we open a window?" "NO, it's too cold.. stop your complaining!"

My parents guilt-trip about that to this day

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One cannot be faulted for what you didn't know.... Only for your actions, after you did know!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Hey
I'm a heavy smoker, and yes it's a trick to smoke with gloves on..but this is one regulation that I thoroughly support, as well as driving while holding a cell phone, however...
I shudder to think what would happen if they decided that taking a puff while driving is outlawed..total ban....need both hands on the wheel..
kids should not be in an environment with secondary smoke..period.
cheers
Gerry

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"as well as driving while holding a cell phone"
Studies have been shown that hands-free cell phones are just as distracting....

Zero cellphones for the driver of a moving vehicle....

·
Premium Member
16,658 Posts
Good to hear NS is leading the way.

In spite of the protestations of some smokers (not all) if they don't have the character and common sense to avoid activities that are obviously harmful to their kids, laws need to be created to protect their children from them.

:food-smiley-004:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your sarcasm only betrays your lack of intelligence.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WTF does any of this have to do with Will Rogers???

What you see as smug, isn't, because it's warranted.

(But only when compared to some...)

If you don't want people being 'better' than you, stop making it so easy for them to be...

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
so.... how about that football game?

Just to bring this back on topic, it's important to note that this by-law is for one community (Wolfville, home to Acadia University) only, not all of NS.

Wolfville was also the first municipality in NS to adopt a bylaw banning smoking inside a public place, back in 2001.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"this by-law is for one community"
Every idea has to start somewhere... I'm hopeful this will spread like wild-fire!

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I'm a light-to-moderate-smoker myself. To the best of my knowledge, I was pretty careful to avoid smoking in the proximity of my, or anyone elses children - be it in a car, a home, whatever.

Having said that, I do wonder where this type of legislation will eventually lead us. If, given the amount of medical evidence available today, these people insist on this behavior, then what else are they doing to their kids (for which we need further laws)?

Should stupid people be allowed to have kids in the first place?

1 - 20 of 228 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.