The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am excited about this one!

A project I started thinking about around Christmas 2016 and here we are, finally done after a long hiatus. My wife picked this up and delivered it from a great fellow Forum member who cut a nut, dressed the neck and set everything up over the weekend.

I couldn't be happier with the sound and feel. Great midrange honk on the bridge with plenty of sparkle and clarity when playing with less attack. Smooth and beefy sustain on the neck, especially magical when playing leads between the 10th and 15th frets on the high strings.

Ayr Guitars African Mahogany body w/raised centre strip
Warmoth 24-3/4" scale, 59 roundback Mahogany neck w/Indian Rosewood 12" radius board
Seymour Duncan Antiquity Humbuckers
Glendale Sadles
Emerson electronics
Nickel hardware

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!

I’m happy with it and can’t wait until the next jam with the band to try it out. I had a friend rush over last night who has been eager to see this come together and serenade the whole neighborhood with a David Torn type musical journey through the fuzzed out woods. It’s really cool to sit back and hear your gear being put through the paces, gives a different perspective. I wasn’t disappointed.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Thanks everyone!

I’m happy with it and can’t wait until the next jam with the band to try it out. I had a friend rush over last night who has been eager to see this come together and serenade the whole neighborhood with a David Torn type musical journey through the fuzzed out woods. It’s really cool to sit back and hear your gear being put through the paces, gives a different perspective. I wasn’t disappointed.
Turn it up LOUDER next time, I didn't hear it as clearly as I would've liked to!

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice! I really like that kind of mashup!
Is it a light guitar?
fairly light, yes. but I don't have an exact weight. now that you mention it I would like to know myself. it weighs less than my MIM Teles. Ayr shaved down the top rather than build up the middle for the Firebird look

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
That's pretty sweet.

I hadn't been able to get the fire-tele (tele-bird??) idea out of my head since we talked about it....so I built one too lol
Just the body so far.....routed as a fire-squire but might end up as a 3 pickup.
How high is the raised centre section?

I left mine as 1/4" and I think its too high (but have yet to play a vintage firebird).

http://instagr.am/p/BjaZNFRgf6a/
Nathan

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@nnieman the raised portion on my body is 1/8" up over the rest, my thought process was that an average 3 ply guard would sit even with it. what are the measurements for thickness on your body in the two areas?

I think a 3 pickup would be cool, very cool, sort of like this....

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
@nnieman the raised portion on my body is 1/8" up over the rest, my thought process was that an average 3 ply guard would sit even with it. what are the measurements for thickness on your body in the two areas?

I think a 3 pickup would be cool, very cool, sort of like this....

That's exactly what I had pictured in my head....maybe 2 p90s with a tele bridge.

The middle section is standard tele thickness....the mahogany is the last of my reclaimed 1950s stash & its a little heavy so I went with thinner sides.
I might thin the whole thing by a 1/8" like yours.

Nathan

1 - 20 of 32 Posts