The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New old guitar synthesizer day. Awhile back I was thinking about the old gear I used to use and this memory was triggered by a post on another forum. They were mentioning the old Roland GR-50 guitar synth and that brought back memories of when I used to own one from 1988 until 1993. I ended up selling it because at the time I found the tracking wasn't very good but as I thought about it some more I also remembered that my playing technique back then wasn't quite as refined as it is now.

Just out of curiousity I decided to check out Craigslist and Kijiji to see if anybody was selling one in the Toronto area. I found a person in Mississauga who was selling one and I contacted him. However, after a few e-mails he changed his mind about selling it. Then about 2 weeks later, out of the blue, I received another e-mail from him telling me he's changed his mind and is willing to sell it. After about 3 more e-mails we settled on where we going to meet so I could buy it. On Sunday I went to Mississauga (Clarkson GO station) and bought the GR-50. He's kept this in excellent condition. You wouldn't know it was almost 30 years old. He even included a GK-2 pickup and the Owners manual. Here are the photos I took earlier this evening:

Front View

FC-100 Foot Pedal

The top of the GR-50

GK-2 Pickup and Sound Library Memory card

Owners Manual and Tones Chart

Unfortunately I haven't had time to use it yet but I'll be checking it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty clean unit, great catch!
Thanks Ti-Ron. I can't believe how clean it is. It's like I went back in a time machine to 1988 and bought it from Steves music store all over again except I didn't pay as much this time. :) Kidding aside he took great care of this and I'm the same way with my music gear.

I'm a fan of that tech.
Thanks Cups. I was setting it up and playing it earlier this evening. Some of the tones now sound a little on the dated side but for the most part there are some pretty good usable sounds in this unit.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you give us a little insight on how you are using it in your music?
Well, I've just been trying out the sounds for now but I do remember from the first time I owned my original GR-50 that I really liked the pad sounds. From trying out the current one I also like the bass sounds and the drums sound better than I remember. Once I get back into using it more I'll try a recording with it.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
This just seems like a good place for this Tony James pic to live:

Carry on.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, a Roland G-707 guitar. I never owned one but they had a bit of a following in the early 80's. The guitars I'll be using with the GR-50 have GK pickups on them.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I never knew about the GR-50 but I liked the GR-55 and VG-99. At the time, I think they were the best units out there. AXE and Line 6 appear to have caught up even though they are different beasts.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I also have the GR-55 and the VG-99 but they're in storage for now. I'm going to have to spend more time with this GR-50 and get back to re-learning some of the settings again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts