The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since its a long weekend, was taking it relax today. Decided to have a look at some local adds and found this new one that's sounded really weird... The add sz this:

Old 60s Frémusse bass with strap and case...

The add had this picture.

Since the seller was asking not much for it and since I like old 60s Japan basses not knowing this model, contacted him and went over to see it...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
Congratulations! Looks like it has been well cared for.

How is it from an electronics and setup perspective? ...given that it is almost 55 years old.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like it has been well cared for.
It came with its original hard case so well taken cared of..

How is it from an electronics and setup perspective? ...
Well, very simple set up. One pick up so have one volume knob and one tone knob, the little switch is an on/off switch for the pick up.

It came with flats on it and still has the original muting system on it. Real nice thump on this bass... great sound for a 55 year old bass!!!

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Are those guitar tuners??

Congrats, thats a cool piece.
Yes; that happened a lot in those days and especially that part of the world.

.... actually the first Gibson basses in the 50s (before the Fender P) had Firebird style banjo tuners. That would be the original EB (aka violin bass, which Hofner later copied the shape of but made hollow; later renamed the EB-1) and the first run of EB-Os (DC shape vs SG).

Anywho - another interesting score for Frenchy!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Super cool bass! nice score.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I used to have a 1968 Hagstrom 4 string bass and the neck on that one was ridiculously thin...maybe that was the style of the decade.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used to have a 1968 Hagstrom 4 string bass and the neck on that one was ridiculously thin...maybe that was the style of the decade.
Yep ... must have been a fad back then... After doing a bit of research, came upon this add (sorry for the French)

It states the neck is 36mms compared to the Deluxe model which has a neck of 40mms

·
Registered
275 Posts
Wow....36mm is 1.417 inches! Definitely for the small handed player...lol

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Gee, missed this thread. Nice scoop!

I have my expensive custom gear, but the inexpensive stuff from the nostalgic days wins my heart over every time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts