The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found a pretty nice deal and finally decided I should tackle one of these. I don't know much about banjos but with a little research I chose the Deering Goodtime 2. They are made in USA and get good reviews for a beginners banjo. I chose the 2 because I wanted a resonator back. It was an advanced starter pack with a few included extras: Decent padded gigbag, beginners DVD, a strap (if I get to the point where I am gigging with a banjo I expect to replace it), a small tuner, and 1 thumb and 2 finger picks.

It's in open tuning so at least I can strum away until I get time to start the DVD.

IMG_1047.JPG IMG_1048.JPG IMG_1049.JPG IMG_1050.JPG IMG_1051.JPG

·
Premium Member
11,266 Posts
Deering makes great stuff, I'm a big fan, though I don't have one...yet. I've played lots of them and spent a very little bit of time in the company of Jens Kruger who is an endorser (and a real nice guy, he's a friend of a friend). I've got a couple of students with Goodtimes and they sound and play great. Marketed as a beginner's instrument but with most of the necessary characteristics of a pro instrument without the bling.

There is a world of banjo instruction materials out there, Google and Amazon are your friends, but focus on the basics first and everything else will flow from that. I was initially frustrated by the fact that most of the instruction stuff seemed to be bluegrass oriented, but I adapted to a more blues/oldtime/folk style eventually.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
banjo has always been a complete and utter mystery to me.n
hope you do better with it than I ever did.
The best I can do is to say that the 5 string banjo picking is backwards when compared to guitar - i.e: the thumb picks a drone high note.

G

·
I couldn't figure out my tenor either.
If I put my mind to it, I'm sure I could.
I just have it tuned to an open 'C' for strumming.

·
Registered
15,305 Posts
Years ago I paid too much for one at an auction. 5 string. Like a guitar I could sorta strum but I don't pick so I traded it for some leafy green and then it didn't matter anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts