The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoy doing reviews and demos, and so I reached out to some companies that I like (I have their gear) to ask for some prize donations for a mystery pedal contest. I do provide clues throughout, besides plenty of sound clips. Contest open from Sept 1-30, 2019. One guess per entrant. Email your answer to [email protected] (include name, mailing address and phone number). Answer and winner will be posted early October, 2019.

Thanks to all the prize participants:

Eastwood Guitars/Airline

Eastwood Guitars

Maple Rock Pedalboards

https://www.maplerockpedalboards.ca/

V-Picks

Guitar Picks | V-PICKS

Spectraflex Cables

Spectraflex Guitar Cables

Peterson Tuners

Peterson Strobe Tuners | The world's most accurate tuning equipment | Home

Rock House Method

Welcome to The Rock House Method - the fastest growing and most widely used musical instruction system in the world

Grover Musical Products

Grover |

Barefoot Buttons

Barefoot Buttons – Guitar Pedal Buttons Easy On Your Feet

·
Registered
24,362 Posts
For now, my listening is confined to the teeny speakers in my computer monitor. Between that, and the way that mic-ing and Youtube corrupt, or at least alter, the audio quality and tone, you may end up keeping all that gear. Add to that the fact that there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of in-production pedals that can produce those types of sounds, whose own video demos have their sound altered by the same factors that may alter this one, and it is an extremely long shot; like guessing how many jellybeans in the jar when you can't see the entire jar. Your intentions are good, but I'm not going to even try and guess.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, MC Hammer, I already received some correct guesses on the very first day. Do all those other pedals have Turbo, as I hinted to in the demo? All of them do OD, Distortion and Fuzz? Do all of them have a Variation switch? How many store exactly four presets? And I did not mic anything... I recorded direct to DAW. Hope that helps if you feel like putting in the effort to investigate the hints. Good luck.

·
Registered
24,362 Posts
Half time now, so at your encouragement I watched the whole thing. Still no clue, despite the clues. I get all the updates from effectsdatabase, Distortion Ltd, Just Nick, Pedals and Effects, Premier Guitar and all the rest, and the mystery pedal is probably somewhere in there, but latest and greatest distortion is just not one of those things I try to stay on top of. That said, there's probably a good chance that over the next month, I'll inadvertently stumble onto something that rings a bell. But I'll hang back and cheer for whoever comes up lucky. Good on you for coordinating this.:)

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
But I'll hang back and cheer for whoever comes up lucky.
Good on you for coordinating this.:)
Go for it anyways.
Your best guess is probably better than other's thorough research. lol

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Already multiple correct answers. And it's not the latest and greatest of distortion... one clue was that it's been around for years and a new model from the company just released in 2019. And it's not just a distortion... it offers OD and Fuzz.

·
Premium Member
3,332 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did get about 10 correct answers out of the bunch. If you ever watch Ola Englund guess that tone, I think he's right about 10% of the time, lol. Very difficult to nail things down with today's technology and vast array of ODs and distortions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts