The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next Thursday (Nov 15), I'm attending a "mystery" concert at the ACC. It goes like this - my wife works for RIM (makers of the evil Blackberry:smile:). In lieu of a company Christmas party, they are inviting all employees + 1 guest out for an evening concert. The catch is they don't disclose who the acts are - it's all a big surprise.

They did something similar a few years ago, only it was at the Kitchener Aud (much fewer employees back then). The opening act was The Barenaked Ladies and the main act was Aerosmith! It was a great show. Prior to that, they had The Tragically Hip play at a company function but that was before my "connection" started working there.

People around RIM have been doing some sleuthing and it's already been confirmed that one of the acts is John Mayer. I guess he's sort of "sponsored" by RIM so that one was pretty easy to guess. An undercover RIM employee pretending to be interesting in booking Mayer for that day called his agent who let it slip that he in fact was booked for a private function (I think he even said RIM...oops!).

As for a second act, the word on the street is that it's Van Halen! Looking at their tour schedule, they will be in the area around that time so it's quite possible. I was sort of hoping it might be Rush but I guess that would be wishful thinking on my part. There is talk, however, that there may be a third act on the bill so it should be interesting to see who takes the stage next week.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to a free concert next week! Should be fun.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I think one of the founders of RIM is really into live music. Back just before the blackberry caught on, I did two of their parties in Kitchener. Both had a live band and an accoustic Jazz Treo that played most of the night. I don't remember the name of the band, but there was very little need to play CD's at all durring the entire evening.

Even then it was an open bar, full dinner and a rolling buffet through the night. At the time I was working for IBM, and I though that they would have been a much better company to work for.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With a market cap of around 70 Billion, I think they can afford to hire VH for the night :smile:

It should be fun no matter who the entertainers are. My wife's "team" hired a fancy tour bus to cart us all down and back so no worries about parking or having a few pops along the way.

Yes, the big wigs at RIM are very conscious of making it a "fun" place to work. They do all kinds of neat little things for their employees as well as the occasional big event such as this one. If I had to give up my self-employment status, I'd definitely be knocking on the RIM door first.

An interesting side note: I mentioned earlier about one of the guys at RIM who was digging for info by calling around all the agents posing as an interested party, but really was just trying to find out who was available that night and who wasn't. Naturally, he had to ask how much to book the bands. Prices generally ranged from 1.5 million to 2.5 million depending on the act. But to book KISS for the night, it will cost you a whopping 15 million! He asked "why so much?" and the agent just said that's what it takes to get them out to play live. My guess is that the agent knew that this was just a blind fishing expedition and was pulling his leg. But if not, whew - that's way above the regular pay scale. I guess all the explosions, fake blood and huge lit up KISS sign costs money to operate!

Anyway, I'll definitely report back after the show.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Globelle - a computer product distributer used to do that in Mississauga every year.
Nothng as big as VH and it was always an outdoor deal. But they invited their customers, too.

Walking through the RIM offices in Waterloo, the one thing that is VERY evident: everyone is happy.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Prices generally ranged from 1.5 million to 2.5 million depending on the act. But to book KISS for the night, it will cost you a whopping 15 million!
Wow! Talk about inflation. I remember reading an article back in the late '60's which said Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass were one of the most expensive bands, getting $20,000 a night compared to Steppenwolf who could be booked for a mere $10,000.

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
Wow. We had Colin James play our corporate Christmas party a couple years ago. I thought that was pretty cool, but VH (even though I'm not really a fan) would be pretty damned amazing, and only a company like RIM could pull that one off. Mayer too. I saw JM at a club here in Calgary a few years ago, before he hit the Big Time, and yes, he's really good too.

-Pete

·
Registered
110 Posts
"Who Can It Be Now??"

Tonights the night. I can't wait for the results. (Even thought I won't be there.)

I recall a news story last year where the STONES played a private party for a group of 300 European bankers! Money talks. Probably after they write off all the expenses it's no more costly than hiring a local band.

Could the mystery artist be Celine Dion?
She's getting a tour together, and there's the Canadian connection....

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I work for a Large Canadian Company and every two years they have a Big Black tie dinner for about 3500 employees and there's always a Mystery Guest. They only draw from Canadian Acts though. There's been Burton Cummings, Jann Arden, Last time it was Blue Rodeo.. Wonder who it could be this year? I'm kinda hoping for Bryan Adams!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, I'm digging through my closet trying to find my old Van Halen concert shirt (with the 3/4 sleeves) circa 1982 or so :smile: If I had more time, I may have even tried to grow the mullet back. I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of VH either, Sneaky - certainly not enough to pay to go see them. But for free...sure, I can do that. I really do hope John Mayer is there as I'd like to see Steve Jordan (on drums) and Pino Pallidino (on the bass).

Aside from the RIM employees and their guests, I'm sure there will be lots of other "VIPs" in attendance. So like major shareholders, financial types etc. It wouldn't surprise me, Steeler, if it does end up being a huge write-off. As for Celine Dion, one can only hope...

And Starbuck, my wife dragged me out to see Jann Arden a while back and I'm actually glad she did. It was an awesome show.

Allright, I'll report back tomorrow with all the details! :rockon:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gah...I hate surprises! We're 99.9% sure it's VH (we compared seating plan of the RIM show to the recent VH show and it shows the exact same stage configuration). Now it's about 50/50 on John Mayer as another rumour started floating around that the other act is The Hip. Or maybe it's all three. I guess we'll see:smile:

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Gah...I hate surprises! We're 99.9% sure it's VH (we compared seating plan of the RIM show to the recent VH show and it shows the exact same stage configuration). Now it's about 50/50 on John Mayer as another rumour started floating around that the other act is The Hip. Or maybe it's all three. I guess we'll see:smile:
It's going to be a great night. We will expect a full review from you. Enjoy !!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pino only plays bass for the JM Trio. He's playing with his band lately and his bassist with the band is Steve Lariviere. Either way, it would be a damn sweet show.
Ah, I was really hoping to see Pino. Aside from being a really great player, that's gotta be one of the best names in show business. I just like saying it...Pino Pallidino. It's fun to say.

Seriously, I didn't know there was The Trio and The Band. Ah well, I just hope someone shows up and plays.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts