The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,063 Posts
I like the story and I get that Goodwyn has done alright for himself (deservedly so in my opinion), but my mind keeps coming back to the fact that he had to BUY the guitar to get it back.

I know, I know, the guy who had it last didn’t steal it, but still.

I’m not a rich guy and talk is cheap, but I have quite a few guitars and if the Melody Maker I have was the one that belonged to Myles, I’d like to think I’d give it to him.

All I’d want would be an autograph, maybe dinner and a chat.

But I don’t know the circumstances of the seller.

·
Registered
497 Posts
DITTO !!!

I’m not a rich guy and talk is cheap, but I have quite a few guitars and if the Melody Maker I have was the one that belonged to Myles, I’d like to think I’d give it to him.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Even though he bought it back , I think he got a good buy for under a grand..He was no doubt on top of the world just to have it back in his hands again..

·
Premium Member
17,063 Posts
Even though he bought it back , I think he got a good buy for under a grand..He was no doubt on top of the world just to have it back in his hands again..
Yes, under a grand for that guitar is fine, and I think I’ll try to see it from a cup is half full perspective. It’s great that he got the guitar back and that’s what matters most.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm sure the guy who sold it back to him just broke even on it. I don't blame him for wanting to break even. Who wants to lose money? Peter Frampton had to buy back his beloved black Les Paul Custom. George Harrison had to buy back his red Les Paul from a guy in Mexico, and buy him another Les Paul.

·
Premium Member
17,063 Posts
I guess it depends on what matters more to a person. I live in the same world we all do so I understand the value of money. I’m about to hit a 25 year anniversary at work so I’m no rosy eyed idealist.

But, I have quite a few guitars. Giving one back to it’s rightful owner would be no loss to me.

I personally would get more out of giving it to him than in selling it to him.

I’m not saying that would be the right path for everyone, but imagine how much better it would feel.

·
Premium Member
17,063 Posts
Another small consideration is the fact that regardless of how many hands the guitar passed through, it still remains stolen property, unless there’s a law I’m unaware of.

·
Premium Member
3,254 Posts
Let's not call it "buy it back". Let's call it reimbursement (the action of repaying a person who has spent or lost money)

·
Registered
18,581 Posts
I like the story and I get that Goodwyn has done alright for himself (deservedly so in my opinion), but my mind keeps coming back to the fact that he had to BUY the guitar to get it back.

I know, I know, the guy who had it last didn’t steal it, but still.

But I don’t know the circumstances of the seller.
I believe the law is, if you have stolen goods, even if purchased in good faith, it must go back to the owner. Perhaps Myles was just being a good guy.

Reactions: Milkman
P

·
0 Posts
He was interviewed on CBC radio about it last night. He said he could have called the cops but decided to go with it instead. He said he traded for it, no cash. The guitar was not played for 46 years.

·
Premium Member
17,063 Posts
He was interviewed on CBC radio about it last night. He said he could have called the cops but decided to go with it instead. He said he traded for it, no cash. The guitar was not played for 46 years.

Not played in 46 years, so maybe it didn't change hands too many times...….

Meh, I've already said it, but Goodwyn should have received that guitar back with an apology and not a request for compensation.

P

·
0 Posts
Not played in 46 years, so maybe it didn't change hands too many times...….

Meh, I've already said it, but Goodwyn should have received that guitar back with an apology and not a request for compensation.
He said a number of people owned it over the years, and they all knew it was his. The last guy had it on display for 15 years and never played it, but it was on display. So according to Goodwyn, a pile of people knew about it over the years and nobody said anything.

·
Premium Member
17,384 Posts
He said a number of people owned it over the years, and they all knew it was his. The last guy had it on display for 15 years and never played it, but it was on display. So according to Goodwyn, a pile of people knew about it over the years and nobody said anything.
So wait, Goodwyn knew it was changing hands, knew people who knew it was changing hands, and it took this long? Was it the mafia?

"Snitches get stitches"

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Another small consideration is the fact that regardless of how many hands the guitar passed through, it still remains stolen property, unless there’s a law I’m unaware of.
Stolen property yes, but he may or may not have had a right to it back legally.

E.G. if insurance pays you out for it, it is no longer yours even if it does eventually turn up.

P

·
0 Posts
So wait, Goodwyn knew it was changing hands, knew people who knew it was changing hands, and it took this long? Was it the mafia?

"Snitches get stitches"
He found this all out after they contacted him.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts