The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Way cool! Does the scalloped fretboard take much getting used to compared to a regular fretboard? (I've never used one before).

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
very nice...im not sure whether I like the scalloped fret-board though. I've never played one, so i dunno how they play...

·
Registered
Peavey Wolfgang EVH Wolfgang Charvel Style 2
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the 95 I used to own the scallops were deeper and more like a half circle ( semetrical ) and the neck and board were maple.
On this one the neck is maple and the board is rosewood... these scallops are the flat bottom type. This makes the feel more like a traditional nech/board but gives all the advantages of a scalloped board. Bends and vibrato are clearer and more fluid, pull offs are way more effective. When picking and hammering on if you have a heavy firm grip there will have to be an adjustment made so you do not make notes go sharp, I find this with traditional boards too. Scalloped boards are more touch sensative aswell and give you a better more accurate interpretation of finger to string contact.
I found it an easy transition and one I have become to prefer.

Khing

·
Registered
Peavey Wolfgang EVH Wolfgang Charvel Style 2
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back in the 80's ( when shred was at it's peek ) scalloped boards were more readily available, Ibanez & ESP for sure made them available but now things are different... I would say it's a special order now. Warmoth and other shops like that offer them.
In the next little bit I'm going to approach Music Man to bulid a scalloped neck for my curretn Silhouette. I'm not even sure if they will but I'm gonna try. Plus I am going to price out an all maple scalloped neck YJM neck for my new Strat.

Craig

·
Registered
319 Posts
Malmsteen

I own a duck yellow Malmsteen Signature with an all maple neck...............the control you have over the notes is far superior to a traditional neck because you are not fighting the wood. I did notice however after playing it exclusively for a few months that I lost some of the strength in my fretting hand because you need to employ a lighter touch. So what I do now is switch it up a lot between my regular guitars and the Malmsteen.
As far as other companies that offer the scalloped neck.......I would like to know also. I know there a few companies that sell replacement and I have actually owned a few warmoth scalloped necks.........very high quality product.

Ray

1 - 11 of 11 Posts