The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted my Walter Becker "Freaking Danocaster" in the FB Steely Dan group a while back and somebody actually copied it and created one almost exactly like it. Even down to the strap. LOL I don't know what to think of it. He admitted he used some of my photos to recreate it. Here is mine:
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory

And here is what he did:
Musical instrument String instrument White Guitar String instrument

· Premium Member
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wait, did you purchase that from the estate, or is it a faithful copy of Becker's? It looks very comfortable, and seems to have what I gather are Joe Barden pickups?
It was originally owned by Walter Becker. I didn't purchase it from the estate but yes it was from the estate. I traced it back and I believe I have been the 5th owner. Two other GCers owned it before me. And yes those are Joe Barden pickups. From what I recall, the first buyer changed the pickups but somewhere along the way, the original Barden pickups were put back in. And that's how I got it. I would've been the 4th owner but I hedged and someone else bought it. Who evidently sold it again and I got first dibs. So that's how it got to me.

· Premium Member
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I gather the asking price increased with each successive turnover?
LOL Pretty much. If my research is right, I believe it increased by about 50% from the original winning bid, by the time it got to me. I just had to have the guitar. LOL I didn't think I would have the opportunity again. I guess it shows I'm a big Steely Dan fan.
CORRECTION: The price didn't increase by that much. LOL It was basically increased by around 10% from the time someone won it at the auction.

· Registered
1,979 Posts
He used the wrong saddles! Amateur hour.

But seriously, that's pretty cool!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts