The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd give some of my thoughts on this guitar. Its the least expensive guitar I've purchased Since the mid 80's not counting the pink strat squire I bought for my daughter and the Taylor GS mini I bought for my grand daughter. But since I technically don't own them they don't count. I've always stuck with US made guitars for my uses.
However this guitar grabbed my attention when I played it a couple years ago through a 1965 Deluxe reverb (real 65) and have wanted it ever since. It had such a warm beautiful lush tone. I attributed it mostly to the deluxe but having played it for a week through my Tone King Sky king its still got that warm tone that I remember. Very snappy when you dig in. I have come to the conclusion that I like the tone of both bridge and neck pickup better than the Broadcaster\Nocaster thats in my expensive custom shop 52.
Initially the weight of the guitar was nice but I'm thinking now there is such a thing as too light and I prefer the weight of my custom shop 52 at 6.9 pounds. The BP roadworn kind of feels toyish.
As well I far prefer my CS 52's big Nocaster U neck although the neck on the BPRW is nice as well. Not quite as big as I like but full enough for me for comfort.
The factory set up was not bad. I tweaked it a little with a bit less relief and slightly brought the saddle down. However the nut on this thing is horrible. The slots need to be lowered and the strings get stuck and bound causing them to go sharp. I'll likely take it somewhere and have the nut replaced with bone.
I was originally thinking of changing out the bridge and saddles for Rutters but I see nothing wrong with the factory hardware so for at least now I'll leave them.
I love the sparkle finish. After many years of butterscotch or blond finishes (which I do love my blond CS52) I feel like I've stepped out of the box a little with this crazy sparkle finish.
Like many others I kind of wished they had left out the arm wear as I think the sparkle finish would have been better that way but it is a small spot and the smoothness does feel good with my arm rested there. It doesn't really bother me that much.
I've never owned an MIM before and I'm pretty impressed. The only other MIM that I even picked up in a store recently was a Vintera 50's Tele. And I was impressed by the one I played. I have only played around in the music stores with the US model Strats and Teles and mostly I've never been that impressed with most of them. Although I'm limited in experience with comparison to the standard US to MIM guitars, what I have seen indicates not a lot of difference.

·
Premium Member
16,643 Posts
A friend who used to work at the fender warehouse said "the difference between MIM and MIA fenders is the 400 miles between factories" - take from that what you will. Of course there will be gems and duds with either, but I would wager the main difference with current MIM/MIA will be hardware and a case.

I do like that they chose a darker paisley finish for these ones as well.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I have pick up many made in Mexico fenders and what gets me the most is how unbalanced they are ..
They are body heavy , which I find very uncomfortable, unlike the American Strat and telecaster I have that are well balanced and in turn it makes playing it easier .

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have pick up many made in Mexico fenders and what gets me the most is how unbalanced they are ..
They are body heavy , which I find very uncomfortable, unlike the American Strat and telecaster I have that are well balanced and in turn it makes playing it easier .
The Brad Paisley is anything but body heavy. Its not neck heavy either. Total weight is about 5.6 pounds.

·
Premium Member
16,293 Posts
That's interesting and points out that "balance" in the context of guitars can mean different things to different players.
What you are describing as an imbalance (body heavy) is precisely what I seek.

I like the neck to be up.

·
Premium Member
16,643 Posts
Can't say I've ever noticed that about MIM or USA fenders over the last 5 years.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
As much as I don't dig "factory worn" finishes, I was really impressed with these BP sigs. My only complaint was a seeming lack of sustain on the 3 I've played. That said, I'll own one eventually. For now I have my blackguard partscaster that he actually signed ;)

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
A friend who used to work at the fender warehouse said "the difference between MIM and MIA fenders is the 400 miles between factories" - take from that what you will. Of course there will be gems and duds with either, but I would wager the main difference with current MIM/MIA will be hardware and a case.

I do like that they chose a darker paisley finish for these ones as well.
When I visited the Corona factory, the guide said the difference is MIM is made in Mexico by mexicans and MIA is made in the US by mexicans.

Since he was a mexican that worked in both plans, he had a special connection to both MIA and MIM.

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
the difference is MIM is made in Mexico by mexicans and MIA is made in the US by mexicans.
I remember reading an interview with Leo when he opened the plant in Mexico;
'What do you think of Mexicans making your guitars?'
'They've been making them all this time'.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts