The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TL;DR version: Look at the cab I fixed up!

I'll shorten the story: this cab was on tour with BTO in Canada in 1991 and played by Vancouver guitarist Randy Murray. Tour ended, and the cab was sold to Not Just Another Music Store in Vancouver, who called my friend. (I'm told the cab had no tolex at this point.) My friend bought it but never put speakers in it and it got stored for 10 years.

By then it had silvered, dried out, and started to creak. I traded him for the cab, cleaned, sanded and oil-finished it and put old Greenbacks in it. Then I traded it off to my first electric guitar teacher, whose wife apparently loved it. Never saw it again.

Until, sadly, my old teacher passed away. I got a call from his widow last month asking if I wanted this old, beat-up cab.
When I got it it was a terrible mess! Water damage, peeled veneer, two holes had been drilled in the top (go figure,) grille-cloth ripped and stained, and it was splotched with drywall mud and primer. Some superglue soaked into the top. The t-nuts were gone and several sets of speakers had been attached using wood screws.

Of course, the speakers were gone.

I always forget to take "before" pics, but here's the result of me repairing and refinishing this old guy.
I didn't try to hide its past - most of the scratches have been left; there's a cool story behind it.

IMG_1816.JPG
IMG_1817.JPG
IMG_1818.JPG

The two holes were filled with dowling - so snug I didn't need glue.
IMG_1824.JPG

I cleaned, sanded, oiled, re-stained, and finished it in Danish Oil. I left the grille-clothe in place and put this surprisingly thin piece of late-50's cloth over it. New handles.

Any apparent gaps between wooden pieces have been filled, but not quite to the surface. I wanted to keep the "old, well-loved" vibe.

Speakers are Retro 30's, and I treated myself to a SpeakOn connector in the back.

It sounds wonderful! No rattles or buzzes. Tight, but with Body.

And, yes, this was the short version.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If anyone recognizes the model/make of this cab please let me know.
It was made with fancy plywood with both sides nice, finished both sides, so I'm not sure it was made to be tolexed.
Outer dimensions are H-29 3/4", D-14", W-29 5/8".
No marks or signatures.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now you have to buy a head to go with that cab. :D
You're absolutely right, I'm going to build a new head-shell for my Memphis to match.

The solution I'm trying first is to build a unit to hold my head and pedals and run a 20' cable to the cab. If I make my shelf unit with the right wood I can stain it to match the cab.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
If anyone recognizes the model/make of this cab please let me know.
It was made with fancy plywood with both sides nice, finished both sides, so I'm not sure it was made to be tolexed.
Outer dimensions are H-29 3/4", D-14", W-29 5/8".
No marks or signatures.

Thanks!
Bag End maybe? They did stained cabs.

·
Premium Member
17,190 Posts
The wood looks awesome. My bandmate stripped and stained his orange 412, it came out pretty nice.

Are you gonna keep the grill cloth?

Reactions: Moot

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMG_1829.JPG

... Are you gonna keep the grill cloth?
This is the original grill clothe. It's still functionally stable, but in pretty poor cosmetic condition. I put the old piece of cloth over it. It's a lot thinner than it looks, and I really like the "furniture" vibe it gives it; like an old 50's TV console.

It took several weeks to get the smell of ancient nicotine and mildew out of this old cab, though. (Remember when all your gigging gear reeked of cigarette smoke?)
A weak vinegar and water scrubbing every day for the wood, and a healthy dose of Febreeze and fresh air for the grill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts