The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, it started as a stock TS-808 clone, but things got a bit out of hand. I built the kit stock originally & then decided to have some fun! Here's the end result...(notes extracted from my post on the BYOC forums).

Knobs left-right:
- stock level
- stock tone
- stock drive
- 4-position rotary for overdrive type
- pos 1 (top position) - stock TS-808 (symmetrical 1N914's)
- Pos 2 - asymmetrical - 2/1 1N4001
- pos 3 - very asymmetrical - 3/1 1N34A germanium
- pos 4 - very asymmetrical - 3/1 led (red-yellow-red/yellow)

Switches left to right (all up for stock specs):
- bright (input impedance mod)
- "fat" (tone cap mod - .22 uf)
- overdrive lift (basically bypasses clipping stage)
- TS-9 mode

Hard-wired mods:
- more/less gain mod (mid-level boost - might change it to more extreme gain)
- cap mod for tone (.22uf tantalums replaced with .15uf tantalums)
- 1NP electrolytic caps replaced with 1uf metal film

The color is Chrysler Black Cherry Metallic. I'm going to design a decal for it but haven't gotten around to it yet.

A few comments about the mods. On the overdrive side, the 1N4001's are a bit thicker/warmer than stock. Seem to have a bit more drive also. The germaniums are very laid back & smooth. The led's are very crunchy.

The bright mod is rather subtle. I expected more of a difference. Might just be my amp/cab though - Trinity 18 sIII & V30 loaded 2x12. I'm thinking of loading the cab with something less intense for the Trinity. That might make the mod more noticeable.

The "fat" mod makes a HUGE difference. Much thicker & less mid-rangey. I went with the more extreme version of this mod here for that very reason.

The diode lift doesn't work quite as I expected. I was expecting it to be basically a clean boost. It is clean, but the level goes from zero to maybe just a hair above input level, i.e. not really a "boost". It's more of a switchable volume mod really, but the tone knob does still work and I think maybe the fat mod also. Not sure if I can mod it to give more of a true clean boost. I might try that.

The TS-9 mode is also rather subtle. It's a touch edgier/less warm than stock and maybe a hint more gain, but not enough to get excited over one way or the other. I do prefer the stock TS-808 mode over this though.

Next up, either my BYOC Phaser and/or BYOC Chorus gets a similar treatment

You know...lately I've been spending far more time building gear than actually playing!

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Cool. I was thinking of doing something kinda similar to my BYOC MXR Dist +. I have a few different diodes and LED's I wanted to try out and I wouldn't mind a "fat boost" option. Any tips!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. I was thinking of doing something kinda similar to my BYOC MXR Dist +. I have a few different diodes and LED's I wanted to try out and I wouldn't mind a "fat boost" option. Any tips!!
Not much I can add, but here's a couple things to keep in mind.

First, keep your wiring as tidy & short as possible, especially in the signal path.

With the clipping diodes, I've found the differences between different silicon diodes is very subtle. For example, between the 914's & 4001's in my build there's precious little difference. Going asymetrical with the 4001's made more of a difference to my ear than the different diodes. The germaniums are a big change from the silicons. A very laid back sound and a noticible drop in output volume. The LED's louder, angrier, and more crunchy.

I tried messing around with mixing different diodes too but settled on the combinations listed. I have heard that people like mixing 914's & 4001's, but when I tried it I couldn't hear much of a change (if any). When you start mixing silicons, germaniums & LED's things change a little more but you still seem to get mostly the character of the dominant diode (LED's over silicons over germaniums).

But hey...try a bunch of stuff. It's a bit of fun, especially if you have strong "tweaker" tendencies.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. You went with the BIG knobs I see. I prefer the smaller ones myself. The stock BYOC knobs gotta be replaced regardless. They're butt ugly.

I've got my "fully loaded chorus" done also. Similar layout. Don't have a pic handy though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts