The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wondering how it would work on steel and how big and what shape an item it would take. I take it since you said "pecker" it dimples the item instead of engraving it.
No, it's a true engraver. Not sure why they picked that name. It can engrave an object up to 200 x 200 mm. Doesn't work on metal. It's a class 4 laser which I think is the highest consumer grade diode you can get. Caveat, it works on aluminum, you just have to use an erasable, black, whiteboard marker to colour in the area to be engraved first. Also works on glass, leather, fruit, plastic, rubber, etc. Can probably give a mean tattoo if you don't mind third degree burning sensations.

·
Premium Member
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It can be a photo in the normal formats, a G-code file or you can use the app to create text, images or whatnot.

Reactions: greco

·
Registered
15,292 Posts
No, it's a true engraver. Not sure why they picked that name. It can engrave an object up to 200 x 200 mm. Doesn't work on metal. It's a class 4 laser which I think is the highest consumer grade diode you can get. Caveat, it works on aluminum, you just have to use an erasable, black, whiteboard marker to colour in the area to be engraved first. Also works on glass, leather, fruit, plastic, rubber, etc. Can probably give a mean tattoo if you don't mind third degree burning sensations.
If it's a laser then it burns/melts instead of engraving or tattooing. Equal depth on a flat surface. More like a brand or burn than a tattoo. Not too sure how permanent that would be tho you might be able to use it to remove a tattoo.
The last place I worked bought a machine that could make aluminum labels like this

for extremely hot items. I remember they warned you not to use it on skin and also to be careful how deep you 'cut' as things started to melt and burn. Everything it did was square edged.....you didn't get any depth and texture like this.

That being said is there types of wood the recommend you don't use it on? I'm thinking things like older cigar boxes, thin things like that. And does the object have to be flat? Could be useful in putting ID marks on things. A lot nicer than the "engraving" pens.

·
Premium Member
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is "the app" available for download somewhere? Having it might help in preparing something suitable.
From the Apple App Store but you may not be able to get too far without it being connected to the machine. Look for the app called LaserPecker.

·
Premium Member
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If it's a laser then it burns/melts instead of engraving or tattooing. Equal depth on a flat surface. More like a brand or burn than a tattoo. Not too sure how permanent that would be tho you might be able to use it to remove a tattoo.
The last place I worked bought a machine that could make aluminum labels like this
View attachment 322481
for extremely hot items. I remember they warned you not to use it on skin and also to be careful how deep you 'cut' as things started to melt and burn. Everything it did was square edged.....you didn't get any depth and texture like this.
View attachment 322482
That being said is there types of wood the recommend you don't use it on? I'm thinking things like older cigar boxes, thin things like that. And does the object have to be flat? Could be useful in putting ID marks on things. A lot nicer than the "engraving" pens.
On wood, I can feel the “trench” it burns. The app has options for laser power, depth and number of passes. From what I’ve seen so far, it works on any type of wood. No, doesn’t need to be flat.

The unit also mounts to a tripod so you can laser etch large objects that won’t fit under the stand. Say a wall, dresser, whatever. Focal length is fixed between 190 and 220 mm. Recommend range is 200mm.

I don’t think I have any scrap aluminum around to test

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Click bait! Not the pecker that would peak my curiosity!

Laser engraving is pretty cool. You can get industrial machines for $800 plus according to someone I know.

If you are really into projects like this, need CNC work, or 3D printing, most major cities have co-ops you can join to use the equipment. A buddy at work cuts acrylic from 4x8 sheets and makes bank selling raver/festival helmets or signs with programmed LED's on Ebay and facebook. It takes an evening for him to make a 3x3 backlit programmable LED sign with any wood you want.

·
Premium Member
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Click bait! Not the pecker that would peak my curiosity!

Laser engraving is pretty cool. You can get industrial machines for $800 plus according to someone I know.

If you are really into projects like this, need CNC work, or 3D printing, most major cities have co-ops you can join to use the equipment. A buddy at work cuts acrylic from 4x8 sheets and makes bank selling raver/festival helmets or signs with programmed LED's on Ebay and facebook. It takes an evening for him to make a 3x3 backlit programmable LED sign with any wood you want.
"Tis just a fun toy. I don't need to make any money off of it. That's pretty cheap for an industrial laser. It is kind of hypnotic watching it build the image. I'm amazed at how precise it is.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
After about a year of waiting. It works amazingly well. Anyone need a headstock engraved?
I posted an article recently in the Political forum about the fact that global population growth is slowing and world population will start shrinking dramatically in about fifty years.

I though this thread was going to be about your own (modest) effort to change that trend. Guess not. ;)
~

1 - 20 of 55 Posts