The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked this baby up last Friday. A Yamaha SA503 TVL (Troy Van Leeuwen signature - I had no idea who this guy was before buying this guitar. He's currently in Queens of the Stone Age and has toured with A Perfect Circle and some other bands).
Haven't had much time to actually play it yet, but so far so good. Fit and finish are fantastic - action was a little high for my liking, but that's no big deal.
The 3 single coils sound great and the dual 3-way toggle switches are really cool. One of them controls the bridge and neck positions while the other one is just for the middle pickup - position 1 is off, 2 is blend and the 3rd position is middle only (shuts off the neck and bridge). Huge range of tone variations.
And now some pix...

Cheers,
Joe

·
Registered
98 Posts
That's a beauty. I'm gassing for a semi-hollow right now, maybe I'll check out the Yamaha's. Did it cost an arm and a leg?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Nice looking guitar.

I've only played one in a store so take the following with a large grain of salt (I may have played a dud): it didn't stay in tune very well, the setup was quite bad, and the bigsby wasn't all that hot. I was so unimpressed that I didn't even bother plugging it in. It's a nice feature though, so perhaps with a set up it will rock.

I MUCH prefer my Agile AS-820. I think these are the greatest bargains on the market (of course mine is now totally decked out!).

TG

·
Administrator
15,985 Posts
Very nice guitar. This is an '84 SA2000 that I picked up a couple of months ago. I just love it. It's the only guitar I've owned that I'm not even considering changing anything on.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shad said:
That's a beauty. I'm gassing for a semi-hollow right now, maybe I'll check out the Yamaha's. Did it cost an arm and a leg?
I think it's really reasonably priced - picked it up for just under $900CDN.

traynor_garnet:
That's good to know about the Agile... My brother's been thinking about buying an Agile Harm 3 Semi-Hollow Body.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PaulS said:
Nice guitar.... how does the semi hollow with p90's handle OD. Feedback under control ???
Feedback hasn't been an issue. Depending on the guitar's position, there's quite a bit of hum from the P90's with OD (judging from the "single coil hum" thread, that's not out of the ordinary). With the centre pickup turned on in conjunction with either neck, bridge or both, the hum is gone completely.
I've been running it though a little Marshall Valvestate amp and my GNX3000 (thanks to Milkman's review on the Digitech - tried one out and bought it shortly thereafter).

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Very nice guitar. This is an '84 SA2000 that I picked up a couple of months ago. I just love it. It's the only guitar I've owned that I'm not even considering changing anything on.

Hey Dave mine now and I'm in the same boat no need to change a thing ,great guitar quickly becoming a fav !

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
Pretty sweet axe there. Other than the dual volumes I like it as it is.

3 P-90s!...how do they compare to Gibsons and others, any opinion yet? I like the concept.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Administrator
15,985 Posts
Hey Dave mine now and I'm in the same boat no need to change a thing ,great guitar quickly becoming a fav !
If it wasn't for having the Heritage 535 it would still be mine :smile: A really great guitar. Glad you're enjoying it.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pretty sweet axe there. Other than the dual volumes I like it as it is.

3 P-90s!...how do they compare to Gibsons and others, any opinion yet? I like the concept.

Peace, Mooh.
Wow! This thread's an oldie - 3 years old... Still have this guitar too, though I'll admit it doesn't get used as often as it should. I've mostly been playing it unplugged whenever noise is going to be an issue.
As for how the P-90s compare to Gibson's , I have no idea. This is the only P90 guitar I own and ever played.

Cheers,
Joe

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I picked up an AE500 a couple of years ago when Mothers Music was clearing them out.

Made in Indonesia, and the fit and finish is really very good.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
They now go for $1299.00 at Musician's Friend but the reviews on the fret work are not very good. That doesn't look very good on Yamaha. I thought their quality would be better than that, especially on something in that price range.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts