The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a couple of 15" cabs the other week for a great deal. They were beat to shit, covered in mostly peeled off stickers and hand painted names/slogans, and one was not working whatsoever.

JBL and a Peavey. The Peavey Black Widow speaker is in the JBL cab and the JBL in the Peavey, but I digress.

The Black Widow was not actually blown. I cleaned the voice coils and got it working again.

Painted the face of the Peavey cab in flat black. Sanded down the JBL completely and repainted it.

With my 2x12 on top, I had my band scared!!!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and.....................

How does it sound/do they sound? :food-smiley-004:

Oh yeah, the sound... :zzz::D

I used all 3 at band practice last week. Surprisingly, the JBL speaker is a lot brighter than my 2x12 Avatar. :confused: The newly blue cab with the Peavey Black Widow in it is almost what I expected in a 15". Lots of low end and combined with the 2x12 really gives me a nice full tone. I expected it to be all boom and no definition, but it is responsive enough that I was surprised. I've been so anti-15" speakers the last 15 or so years, I've never given them a chance.

With the brightness of the JBL speaker, I could probably get away with using just the 2 1x15" cabs and have a nice full sound. I'll probably use the Avatar on top of the blue cabinet for the most part and only bring the black cabinet when I want to show off the wall of sound!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hard to beat the Black Widows - not the top of the line sound wise, but certainly not bad, and will last forever if treated within their limits. They also can be re-coned very easily...

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts