The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a chance to rock the new rig all as one unit at practice on Friday - it now consists of this (Fender Active PBass Special)...

into this

into this

I must say it's quite an improvement over the Ashdown combo and the Yamaha RBX270. The 15/10 combo get's a lot deeper than the Ashdown, and at 4 ohms, gets me up to 425Watts with a single cabinet, basically the same weight as the Ashdown combo.

The PBass is quite an improvement as well. The guy who sold it to me replaced the original MIM neck with an American PBass Deluxe neck, so not as thin as the J-style neck that is standard on the bass, but an upgrade for sure. The electronics work great, and can get a lot of great tones out of it - even a pretty good Geddy tone by soloing the J pickup and boosting the mid all the way.

I'll try and get some good pics at the next rehearsal...

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Nice rig. I love that amp, when I go to an amp/cab instead of a combo, I think I'm gonna get a GB. Right now I've got a Yorkville 15" combo and an external 2 10" behringer cab. What kind of cab is that, is it something you've conjured up?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Xanadu said:
Nice rig. I love that amp, when I go to an amp/cab instead of a combo, I think I'm gonna get a GB. Right now I've got a Yorkville 15" combo and an external 2 10" behringer cab. What kind of cab is that, is it something you've conjured up?
There's a link to the cab - it's a Traynor YBX1510 - 400Watts handling at 4 ohms.

Which combo do you have? The newer one (XM series) or the older one (BM)?

EDIT... whoops, just looked at your sig- it's the XM) I used an XM200 for a few months before I got the Ashdown - it's a great amp.

When you decide to go looking at heads, you should consider the Yorkville XS400 or XS800 heads as well - good prices, and will sound very similar to the combo you have now (if you're happy with it's tone). James on Bass uses the 800 I think.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
james on bass said:
Nice rig. I'd really love to try some GB stuff soon.

Is that cab the new(ish) Traynor?
Yes, it's the newer (within a year or so) cab that's made to match up with the YBA200 tube head.

The only thing I don't like is that the vinyl covering is pretty thin (I bought a used one from Long and McQuade) and there are a bunch of nicks in it. Carpet or Tolex would have been a better choice.

I'll just glue the nicks back down, and use black permanent marker to cover up the parts that show through (I've done this on my guitar amp - from a distance, can't tell there's any nicks):tongue:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bassman blue said:
the genz stuff is one of the best kept secrets going. awesome heads. congrats on the new rig!
Yeah, I've been interested in getting this head for some time, mostly due to the discussions/recommendations on the other forum (HCBF). When my regular store had one, and were dumping it cheap to make room for the current models, I couldn't resist (got it for $650).

Everything about this unit is solid - the pots/knobs all feel rock-solid - I especially like that all the pots have something like 42 detents - makes them feel so much stronger. Also, the DI seems to be dead quiet - won't know for sure until I get to gig with it and have to go through the PA, but practicing at home (I run it silent - DI into mixer, and use headphones) there's no hiss.

Really happy so far!None

1 - 7 of 7 Posts