The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a Vox DA5 amp on the weekend. This thing is SO cool and makes a great practice amp. It sounds surprisingly good. When I was playing it in the store a couple of guys came by and were astonished that this little amp was responsible for the tone.

Anyone else use one of these? I'll keep my tube amp for jamming but for a highly portable do it all amp, this thing rocks.

TG

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GuitarsCanada said:
Extremely portable as well I would imagine. Nice one to have for practice.
Yep, it makes a Champ or Valve Jr seem like a 4x12 in terms of portability! :) It can even run off batteries so you can take it camping, going to the beach, or busking.

Given its size and small speaker, I thought it would sound like tin but it somehow sounds really full. It is surprisingly loud too, but you can switch between 5, 1, and 1/2 watt operation.

Really, for $156 Cdn how can you go wrong? I still love tubes, but this is the kind of technology that 10 years ago seemed impossible.

TG

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...my girlfriend gave me one for christmas '05.

truly an astounding little amp. its digital, so make sure you are listening off axis...

that said, i use the clean setting, dime the gain and add a touch of reverb.

i never tire of plugging into this thing for late night writing and jamming. i have even used it (miked) for an outdoor bbq with bass, drums and another guitarist!

very highy recommended.

-dh

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the clean setting with a bit of delay or the comp on occasion; the first blues amp is nice too.

I like that the amp retains some touch sensitivity and actually changes in tone accordingly.

TG

david henman said:
...my girlfriend gave me one for christmas '05.

truly an astounding little amp. its digital, so make sure you are listening off axis...

that said, i use the clean setting, dime the gain and add a touch of reverb.

i never tire of plugging into this thing for late night writing and jamming. i have even used it (miked) for an outdoor bbq with bass, drums and another guitarist!

very highy recommended.

-dh

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
traynor_garnet said:
I like the clean setting with a bit of delay or the comp on occasion; the first blues amp is nice too.
I like that the amp retains some touch sensitivity and actually changes in tone accordingly.TG

...seriously, try that clean setting with the gain dimed - it acts like a boutique compressor: lush sustain, with none of the attributes of a typical compressor.

-dh

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try that out. Where is your master set? I may need to drop down to .5 watt mode.

While I like the sound of the compressor I don't like using it while practising because I am trying to get my playing even and smooth on its own. The compressor is kind of a cheat when doing fingering exercises so your approach seems like the best of both worlds (no cheat, better tone).

TG

david henman said:
...seriously, try that clean setting with the gain dimed - it acts like a boutique compressor: lush sustain, with none of the attributes of a typical compressor.

-dh

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
traynor_garnet said:
I'll try that out. Where is your master set? I may need to drop down to .5 watt mode.
While I like the sound of the compressor I don't like using it while practising because I am trying to get my playing even and smooth on its own. The compressor is kind of a cheat when doing fingering exercises so your approach seems like the best of both worlds (no cheat, better tone).
TG
...the master is set at at around 12:00 o'clock, depending on how loud i feel like playing. lately, i have been setting the wattage at .5, as well. you'll definitely like this setting better than the compressor, i believe, and it will free up the other effects for you, especially the reverb, which is quite nice.

this little amp inspires me every time i play through it.

-dh

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tried it last night and it does sound good. I set it up like that for clean 1 and 2 and even blues 1 and they all sound nice.

Yep, great little amp. Wish I had bought one sooner.

TG

david henman said:
...the master is set at at around 12:00 o'clock, depending on how loud i feel like playing. lately, i have been setting the wattage at .5, as well. you'll definitely like this setting better than the compressor, i believe, and it will free up the other effects for you, especially the reverb, which is quite nice.

this little amp inspires me every time i play through it.

-dh

R

·
0 Posts
those voxes are cool. I just scored a '75 Fender Vibro-Champ for $250 I'm pretty excited about!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've owned Twee, BF, and SF Champs and a Garnet Gnome. All great small tube amps but they are still way too loud for an apartment.

Even if you just use them clean they are still pretty loud. If you are in a house this may not be a problem, but for an apartment it's a no go.

TG

Rogernelson77 said:
those voxes are cool. I just scored a '75 Fender Vibro-Champ for $250 I'm pretty excited about!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts