The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some great deals on pedals over the past bit and thought I'd share my thoughts and opinions on them,
Perhaps we could start some discussion about them.

I'm going to speak about them in this order
-Boss DN-2 Dyna Drive
-EHX Germanium⁴ Big Muff
-Boss FB-2 Feedbacker/Booster

The DN-2 is a hidden gem in my personal opinion. A lot of people (including myself lol) give boss the cold shoulder when it comes to their dirt pedals.
There's a certain "stereotypes" given to them, especially any drive pedals that are orange.... But factor in how the DN-2 is also a digital pedal, and most people wouldn't look in its direction twice before looking at an SD-1.
I feel as if this is one of the times when boss wasn't BS-ing about their "technology" and how "special" what they had to offer was.
This overdrive is easily one of the most responsive and (this will sound redundant, but...) dynamic drive pedals I've had the pleasure of trying.
The range of the Tone knob sweeps to a satisfying degree of variety, which is important when it comes to how well this pedal can clean up when you dial back, and how dirty it can get when you crank the drive knob up past 1:00.
The digital aspect of this pedal comes into play nicely without sounding too digital. its a feature that everybody says "if you have a good enough drive pedal you can do that anyhow", but the gain increases/decrease depending how hard/soft you play. its barely noticeable when playing normally, but if you play notes that vary in volume, the pedal DEFINITELY reflects that.
All in all I'd say its a rather good overdrive pedal, with digital aspects that dont overwhelm the sound or generally sound like..... Well, like crap.
This is the one orange boss dirt pedal that was worth more than the price i got it for. (Was $40)

The EHX Germanium⁴ Big Muff is gnarly, what can I say. Its like 2 pedals spliced together.
In a sense, it sounds nothing like any standard muff I've tried. But it can definitely crank those same tones out when dialed up correctly.
theres so much going on with this pedal its hard to explain.
There a volts knob on the distortion side to starve the pedal of power. it produces some pretty dang spitty tones, Its awesome. Both sides also have a bias knob to let you dial in the sweet spot for each effect independently.
The best part about this pedal is how great it sounds with my green russian stacked after it. A beautifully nasty sound that ought to shake the neighbors house a bit.... (Was $65)

Next up is the FB-2 from boss.
As a boost, its great.
It can be used to provide a clean, flat boost. it can do a mid boost for a blazing metal solo. or you can use the tone knob to.... Well, that's self explanatory......
But once you get past the standard boost stuff, and you start playing with the feedback,
This pedal nearly becomes its own instrument. Kinda like the PS-5 pitch shifter, you've gotta learn how to play this thing itself.
Its not a perfect pedal by any means, the volume intensifies rather quickly when you start the feedback function. and its rather limited in application if you aren't using the pedal as a boost. But its definitely a fun pedal to play with for the feedback function, and as a boost pedal I'd say its pretty solid with plenty of tone shaping capabilities.
(Was $70)

·
Registered
24,367 Posts
Good scores.

Feedback simulators are tricky beasts. I have an old DF-2 and a Line 6 Dr. Distorto. The DF-2 provides minimal control over the manner in which the simulated feedback occurs, and takes a bit longer than the FB-2 to lock on to the pitch of your note. However both are actuated by holding down the treadle. The FB-2 has a more intense sound than the DF-2.

The Dr. Distorto is a reasonable-sounding distortion, if not distinctive or inspiring. Where it is different than the DF-2 and FB-2 is that it has controls for onset and fade-out (rise/fall). The DF-2 has a pot for blending in how much at-pitch or octave-up feedback you want, while the Dr. D has a switch for no feedback/at-pitch/octave-up, and a blend control. The DF-2/FB-2 strategy involves using the foot treadle to determine if and when you want feedback, while the Dr. D requires no such actuation; it's on if the slide switch says it's on.

I reserve a bit of lust for the Fender Runaway, which is hard if not impossible to find, and to my mind does a better job of mimicking the way feedback builds.

I had a long chat at NAMM with Christoph Kemper - yeah, THAT Kemper - about what digital could and couldn't emulate. I am of the view that the inconsistencies of analog fuzzes and distortions were going to be the last things to be accurately modelled, simply because the algorithms were as yet unidentified/described. He felt we were already there. I asked him what clipping circuit he found most difficult to model, and his answer surprised the hell out of me: Tube Screamer. It surprised me because if ever there was a pedal designed to provide as much consistency and as few surprises as possible, it was the venerable TS-9/808.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd agree, the fender runaway is the best of the bunch, which is why its so damn hard to find one.
And the Dr. D definitely sounds like something I'd like to do an A/B test with if given the chance.

Hell, I'd like to do a shootout of all feedback sims

·
Registered
24,367 Posts
Actually, Fender no longer makes the Runaway. I'm supposed to be put in touch with Stan Cotey, the team head behind the current line-up of Fender pedals. If and when I get his e-mail address, I intend to pester him to pester senior management to re-issue the Runaway. I thought it was a brilliant pedal, and yielded the most natural feedback sounds, in terms of emulating what happens when you turn towards and away from the amp. Perhaps production costs (higher for a mechanical device) and the required price point (people will pay $450 for a swiss-army-knife delay but not for a single-purpose feedbacker pedal) made it an insufficiently money-making proposition for them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im aware they were discontinued,
But if you could make a reissue happen with your pestering, I'd love u long time lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't doubt that,
I've heard people say similar things like the Slow Gear effect is built into certain multi effects units.

Definitely a plus for multi effects users

1 - 7 of 7 Posts