The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I've started playing guitar, I"ve been playing on my dad's old Epiphone Crestwood. That guitar is in really bad condition. There's these buzzing noises and the bridge is really high, any lower causes the buzzing noise to be more obvious than it already is.

So I set out to buy a new guitar. A guitar that will be my "first".

I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Custom.

I really like it, it looks nice. However, I have one problem with it. After the guy at the store helped me setup and changed the strings, I found the bridge still abit high, so I lowered it a tiny bit... And then the lower strings started buzzing. I tried lowering and raising the bridge many times but it's not getting any better.

And now whenever I try to do the Stairway to Heaven solo, my bends gets messed up. As in, when I bend the B string, it touches the Gstring and the G string rings out.

Should i take it to the store again? Or is there a way I can fix this myself?

·
All the way to ten
936 Posts
Get "How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great" by Dan Erlewine. It will teach you how to set your guitar up and a lot of other useful tips. I purchased mine on Amazon.ca and got it within a week. If you can't wait take it back to the store and have them set it up for you again. It might need some fretwork before it plays well. I'd still get the book though. It'll save you a lot of money in the long run.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I agree, that's a great book!!

btw, is that epiphone a bolt-on neck? the setneck one's they made in the '60's are pretty cool gtrs, IMO

·
Registered
17 Posts
thats a nice geetar you have there. I tried the same one at Musicstop last night. I really like the LP style but I didn't feel comfortable holding it. Really nice sound

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Nice custom.

If the neck is dead flat, you might try adding just a touch of relief to it. Try raising just the bass side of the bridge. You may want to check that the nut isn't cut too low too.

I agree with Dan's book, it'll not only save you money in the long run, it'll help you to get your guitar set up the way you want it.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Neosaki, when you are buying a guitar from a store (especially on that expensive) it should be set up properly, the way you want it, before it leaves the store at no extra charge. You should take it to them and tell them to set it up for you.

The book is a great suggestions. I own the same book. But the guitar shouldn't have left the store that way in the first place.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.
At first when I left the store it was fine, but then after playing it a few days at home I realized the action was still abit high, so then I lowered it a bit and it became all messed up.

The sad thing is I'm afraid they'll charge me for a proper set up. They charge $15 for changing strings afterall.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Neosaki, if they any kind of business sense at all they won't charge you. I don't know exactly how much an LP Custom is, but I know it's a LOT of money. If they nickle and dime you on stuff after a purchase like that, it would be ridiculous. Just explain to them what happened and ask if they can fix it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after many tweaks the buzzing sound is not as obvious and it's not as hard to play. Some buzzing is still there though, and I feel the actions are abit high, well it's abit harder to do bends. But I guess it's all fine for now.

I'll go back to the store if it gets worst so I won't be bugging them every week or something.

Anyways thanks for the good replies, I'll look into that book you guys recommended.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Neo:

Are you hearing these buzzes through your amp?
Or just when you test it unplugged?
If it's just unplugged, it may be because you are hitting the strings harder, just to be able to hear them.

My rule is that a guitar can buzz all it wants when it's unplugged. If the buzz doesn't come through the amp, it doesn't exist!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Killick said:
Neo:

Are you hearing these buzzes through your amp?
Or just when you test it unplugged?
If it's just unplugged, it may be because you are hitting the strings harder, just to be able to hear them.

My rule is that a guitar can buzz all it wants when it's unplugged. If the buzz doesn't come through the amp, it doesn't exist!

Lol the buzzing isn't from the amp, but sometimes when a guitar buzz too much it becomes annoying ;(

I think it's ALRIGHT right now. But on certain frets it buzzes

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Your LP looks great, congratulations.

One thing you should do now that we are well into the season of home heating is, to maintain stability in your guitar, make sure your home is well humdified. Better for you too !!!! :tongue:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think a fair number of guitars get the "buzz".

All of mine do, and they are all set up a bit different.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts