The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this a few weeks ago and have been getting used to it. I spent some time last night working on new material and just generally noodling around with the unit.

The sounds are beautful. There's an assortment of sampled pianos, strings, organ, choral (voice) et cetera.

88 weighted, velocity and pressure sensitive keys. It's an inspiring instrument.

Korg SP-200 Stage Piano.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Nice!
I need to get myself a keyboard and actually spend some time learning. I also need to learn how to play my banjo.

Does it have USB/Midi?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Is that a copy of the John Lennon Collection I see there? Enough to inspire most to tickle the ivory.... :D

·
Premium Member
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice!
I need to get myself a keyboard and actually spend some time learning. I also need to learn how to play my banjo.

Does it have USB/Midi?
Midi yes, no USB.

It's a great instrument to get you thinking out of the box. I highly recommend it.

·
Premium Member
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is that a copy of the John Lennon Collection I see there? Enough to inspire most to tickle the ivory.... :D

Yeah I put a little time in learning Imagine. Nice simple tune and one I need to know.

I hear it played.....well....wrong, often.

Very pretty chord voicings if you take the time to learn it correctly.

·
Premium Member
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool!

I always wanted to learn how to play piano but I'm always too caught up with guitar. One of these days...
It's never too late.

It's easy to get hooked on it, and there's not a better instrument for writing in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool, that's a lovely new toy. Are you just using headphones for now?

I've been lusting after a Nord Electro for some time, but they are very spendy. I was given a Rhodes Stage 73 earlier this year. I've been slowly doing the neccessary repairs, (new hammer tips, some work on the action, replacing 17 dead p'ups), but when it's done it'll be a one trick piano. And will weigh well over 100#.:mad:

Patti LaBelle did a lovely version of Imagine that added a bit of a gospel flavour that was not at all ironic.

My favorite cover of Imagine was Neil Young at one of the first 9/11 concerts. He changed a lyric to "Imagine no possesions. I wonder if I can." That change to the first person, on that song, at that time, was just beautiful.

I'm a huge believer that a decent understanding of piano/keyboard, and a modicum of skill, (say conservatory gread 6 or 7), is almost essential in the development of a complete musician. I, sadly, stopped piano lessons at Conservatory grade 4.

In terms of technique I'm probably not much past a Grade 4 or 5 RCOM, but I'm not a tchnician. I can do the stuff I need to do. I've always played keys in the bands I've played in. It's a pleasant change of pace.

I always practice with headphones. Live I pump it direct and use wedges to hear myself.

Understanding the keyboard and just learning basic fingering for scales and arpeggios is a big help in learning basic pop tunes.

A piano keyboard is a very logical arrangement and again, it really never goes out of tune.

I've been using an Ensoniq Mirage digital sampling keyboard for years. I also had a Fender Rhodes. I sold it for $75. They'r cool but it's hard to call what comes out of them "piano". I also had a Wurlitzer for awhile. Great for that Supertramp "Dreamer" tone.

One of my favourite electric pianos was the Yamaha CP-70 electric grand.

Now that was a fantastic sounding stage piano.

·
Premium Member
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My Rhodes was free, that's about the right price. Wurly's are cool too, but they have their own set of issues. A buddy of mine tunes pianos. He once got a call to tune a CP-70 at a bar an hour before the gig started. Piano tuners like to work in silence. This was the only tuning gig he walked away from.

I think by this time next week I'll have my Rhodes back in playing shape. The only question is will I play, "Babe" or "Just the Way You Are" first?:smile:
Tuning a CP-70 is easier than tuning a conventional piano (less strings), but it still takes time. You don't have to tune them for every gig though and I sure as he11 wouldn't tune one in a bar. They hold their tune quite well during transport and generally only need a tweak if anything.

I've tuned my acoustic piano a couple of times with good results.

Tuning a Wurlitzer is interesting. You have to file off or add solder to the tone bars to raise or lower the pitch. I do love that little overmodulation you can get by nailing the keys a bit too hard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts