The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Well it's been a couple weeks now since I recieved my Boss RC-20XL loop station, and putting my pedalboard together. My new setup can be seen in the "Let's see your Pedal Boards" thread. Since I'm new to using a loop station, I spent the first week playing around and getting used to it. I've pretty much got the hang of it now, and it's too much fun.

After the week of practice, I took my whole setup over to my drummer's house for a jazz/blues jam. Instead of our regular compliment of musicians, it was just me playing the bass lines and all the guitar parts; comping, head, and soloing. I used my guitar only via the pedalboard through to my Cube 60. After three hours of jamming, we both agreed that it exceeded our expectations overall. The only thing that my drummer mentioned, was that the bass was not as defined coming through my guitar amp when combined with the guitar rhythm. When we jam with our regular group, I'm playing the bass, and he's used to tuning into my bass lines. At one point, we tried plugging a set of headphones, but they weren't volume controlled, so that didn't quite work.

Since the whole setup is mono, the bass and guitar tracks can't be seperated. After some careful thought, I went on the premise that if I split the mono signal (using a splitter), I could connect the pedalboard to both my bass and guitar amps simultaneously with the expection that the bass amp would emphasize the lower bass frequencies, and the guitar amp would emphasize the higher frequencies.....even though both guitar and bass tracks are going through both amps.

So I bought the splitter, tried it out, and...wow....it actually works. The added bonus is that I can control the bass and guitar volumes and tones independantly via the amps. I've only played with this at home and have yet to try it at higher volumes in a jam session with my drummer, but it does have promise.

Just thought I'd share this experiment with you all.

Lawrie

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
Cool. I had a similar problem and ended up using the P.A., unsatisfactorily. Thanks for the tip.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. I had a similar problem and ended up using the P.A., unsatisfactorily. Thanks for the tip.

Peace, Mooh.
Pleasure. Unfortunately, there aren't too many solutions to the issue. I could just plug in my bass, loop the bass parts, send it through my bass amp, forgetting about a guitar track altogether. For some of the jazz tunes we play, it would work fine. But I didn't want to switch around instruments. I wanted to play the bass lines on my guitar, which is why I bought an octave pedal. On a side note, after trying allot of different octave pedals, I found the EHX Octave Multiplexor pedal very good for this application.

Lawrie

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to follow up on what I posted above;

I jammed Sunday afternoon with my drummer and one of our guitar players. Monday night's line up was drums, our other guitar player, and sax. I played both bass and guitar for both sessions. Sending the split mono signal to both my bass and guitar amps worked amazingly well at volume. My drummer was happy, since now he could here the bass lines clearly. The other observation that everyone commented on was the tonal quality of the bass. They desribed it as being somewhere between a Hammond B3's (when using the pedals), and an acoustic stand up bass. It was definitely different, but pleasing.

On another note, for Sunday's session, I pre-recorded the bass lines of a few tunes at home. These were all new tunes I wanted to try. The guide tone really helped setting the tempo. For Monday's session, I recorded the bass lines on the fly, mostly just the "B" sections of the jazz tunes we played, so I could do some comping and soloing. It's worked out great.

Lawrie

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen it. In fact, I've researched a number of scenarios that will allow me to effectively play both bass and guitar when I have the opportunity to.....finally settling for the setup I have now. It's also happens to be cost effective, but thanks for the link. It certainly is interesting.

Lawrie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts