The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't planning on writing this but a few comments in a For Sale thread changed my mind. This is a rewrite of the post I deleted in that thread.

American strats do not sell for $650. I have never seen one sell for that cheap and couldn't imagine it unless it was truly abused.
The deals are out there but don't expect to find them online.

Just before Thanksgiving, I stumbled across a 1992 American Standard Strat on consignment in a small guitar shop in Vancouver. It was tagged at $625 marked down from $695, complete with a decent hardshell case. I left an offer of $550 and received a phone call later the same day saying the owner would take it.

Abused? no...A player's guitar, yes. Some belt buckle wear on the back. A little neck and fret wear but nothing bad. The seller's biggest mistake was not cleaning it before it was put up for sale. The store owner mentioned that the guitar had been there for quite a while and had originally started out at $1100.

All it needed was a good cleaning, new set of strings and a replacement tremelo arm. I also turfed the TBX tone control but that was personal taste.

L

·
0 Posts
Sweet deal!
Having patience and being at the
'right place at the right time' always helps.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The funny thing is that I walked past that guitar at least three times before I even noticed it. :smile:

It was a perfect fit for me since I was in the market for a player not just a looker.

L

·
0 Posts
All my guit's are players.
And they look it too. I'd be hesitant
about owning a 'looker' cause I'd be
afraid to touch it.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
nice bobb- a little bit of wear is going to happen anyway- good score! there are guys out there who pay extra for the wear- lol!
i thought laristotles avatar looked familiar but couldnt place it, hehe awesome

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The deals always seem to pop up when you don't expect them and in places where you wouldn't normally look. That Strat was found in a guitar store that I had just found out about and had never been to before.

On a different forum, it looks like we have a winner in the "score" category... Fender Champ found in thrift store

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
al3d- ya you got some real nice ones!
i never seem to find deals when ive got cash- for a couple years i hunted high and low, with a wad in my pocket- found nothing. soon as i am poor again stuff starts coming up- i recently passed up a 74 twin reverb in original and playing shape- beautiful- guy was willing to deliver it to my house lol, in person, from out of town, for $400- the day before i had paid my rent and had maybe $100 left. one day earlier and i woulda got it and the landlord is cool and doesnt mind waiting a extra week. bah.
i did buy a 50's harmony stella for $42 a few weeks ago- its sitting someplace in indiana right now lol. im starting to get peeved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts