The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So id like to say as some as you know i aquired i guess you could call it a "dream guitar" last march.well the story goes i was just learning guitar when my brothers friend hauled out a old harmony rocket. I played it and automatically had to have but being new and only 17 years years old had no clue what i was talking about offered him $200 for it. And got "no my mom would kill me" the young boy got it from a family friend when he was like 6 or something. The guy was a gigger who was moving out west. Every so often id offer more money till i just gave up. Las spring his e.i. ended leaving him and his family with no money . I ended waking up to a message on facebook " jared i told you years ago if i ever went to sell the harmony you would get first grabs" after explaining i didn't have the $450 he wanted for the guitar and amp he offered weekly payments .so march will mark one year since i got it. It was well worth the wait of basically 10 years . Well back to the real story after a fine close look i found out it was made on december 22, 1966.so it is 52 years. So yeah ,never say "i will never have that" because you never know when it will knock on your door , or " facebook messenger"

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cool. My profile pic is my '61 Stratotone. Fave guitar, feels like hanging with a brother when I play it. Had to get a new neck made, 3 years ago. First got it when I about 26 or so, so over 20 years ago. I didn't know about the gold foils at the time(idiot!) took them off and put Duncan Mini Humbuckers in. The thing has some wicked mojo for sure!

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,108 Posts
And i can't forget how i broke the headstock in March too

I'd have gone with tuck tape instead of electrical, it has more holding power. Or..... I know this is a crazy thought, but maybe paid a qualified tech to fix it? I bet if you'd sent some of those "picturez" to @chimo he could have directed you to someone

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Cool. My profile pic is my '61 Stratotone. Fave guitar, feels like hanging with a brother when I play it. Had to get a new neck made, 3 years ago. First got it when I about 26 or so, so over 20 years ago. I didn't know about the gold foils at the time(idiot!) took them off and put Duncan Mini Humbuckers in. The thing has some wicked mojo for sure!
I’m going to need to see some pics of that!
I just picked up a silvertone strat o tone with dead pickups.

I was leaning towards bigsby b7 & p90s but mini buckers sounds fun too

Nathan

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
So id like to say as some as you know i aquired i guess you could call it a "dream guitar" last march.well the story goes i was just learning guitar when my brothers friend hauled out a old harmony rocket. I played it and automatically had to have but being new and only 17 years years old had no clue what i was talking about offered him $200 for it. And got "no my mom would kill me" the young boy got it from a family friend when he was like 6 or something. The guy was a gigger who was moving out west. Every so often id offer more money till i just gave up. Las spring his e.i. ended leaving him and his family with no money . I ended waking up to a message on facebook " jared i told you years ago if i ever went to sell the harmony you would get first grabs" after explaining i didn't have the $450 he wanted for the guitar and amp he offered weekly payments .so march will mark one year since i got it. It was well worth the wait of basically 10 years . Well back to the real story after a fine close look i found out it was made on december 22, 1966.so it is 52 years. So yeah ,never say "i will never have that" because you never know when it will knock on your door , or " facebook messenger"

Awesome story and what a beauty!!

How does it sound??

Nathan

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd have gone with tuck tape instead of electrical, it has more holding power. Or..... I know this is a crazy thought, but maybe paid a qualified tech to fix it? I bet if you'd sent some of those "picturez" to @chimo he could have directed you to someone
Yeah but it worked . See just like a broken bone we put metal pins in three places for support.

·
Premium Member
'59 LP Junior & Danocaster T
863 Posts
Old Harmony guitars are awesome. I have a '63 blonde Meteor H71 with the mustache goldfoils that I adore. Enjoy the Rocket in good health.

W.

L

·
0 Posts
I used to have one of those. Same year.
Made the PG and vibrato arm.
Those pups have their own unique sound.

P1050295.JPG
66.JPG

·
Registered
128 Posts
I’m going to need to see some pics of that!
I just picked up a silvertone strat o tone with dead pickups.

I was leaning towards bigsby b7 & p90s but mini buckers sounds fun too

Nathan
Here ya go. The mini humbucker fit the pickup route perfect. Or you can check out Gold foil Replacement Pickups

If you want gold foils. He does great work.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
http://instagr.am/p/BnZP7gpgrYU/
Mine doesn’t have gold foils, I don’t know what these pickups are called.

Gold foils sound great but are really microphonic.
Too much for me.

I imagine you could get Curtis Novak to wind them hotter so they’d be louder.

There’s also mcnelley pickups in Ontario, he makes some seriously cool stuff too.
McNelly Pickups

Nathan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts