The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got this 'new' 1975 Gibson L-6S electric guitar shipped to me from somewhere in Ontario. Now right now in Winnipeg we're having a hot spell (35 C, insane humidity).

The guitar is probably going out of tune because of the weather, but the Schaller tuners aren't working too well. When you turn them they don't seem to catch right away, so it's kinda of a pain the accurately tune.

Would weather effect the tuners or does this sound just like bad tuners?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hmm cool. So just grab that, and squeeze a bit of it on the nut where the strings are?

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Yep, that's it. A bit on the bridge saddles helps a bit too. If you're getting slipping or backlash, you may need a new set of tuners, though.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm really hoping this stuff does it. It's a great guitar but this tuning thing is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
most of the time it's going to be the nut. Try the nut sauce, maybe get the nut tuned up.

next big evil is not lock wrapping the strings.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Same kind of deal happened when I got my 70's Ibanez LP... just took a pencil and drew in the slots on the nut and it worked perfectly, haven't had issues since!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Next time you change your strings take the little bit that you cut of the end and use it to file the nut slots. (hold it between with two hands and 'saw') They should ramp up from the tuners so that the string's last point of contact is at the end of the nut, by the first fret. You should only need a few strokes in each slot unless the nut was badly cut or is just plain worn out.

It may just be that you are using different guage strings than the last owner, and the nut is worn in to seat his guage.

If the tuners don't react well without strings on, change them.

·
Premium Member
10,935 Posts
The guitar is garbage, send it to me for disposal!

Nut service, snug the machine head nut and screw, tune up not down, use good strings, neck bolts tight, bridge hardware adjusted...it all matters, but...

I've worn out Schallers and others, but only after extreme long term use. I generally use Gotoh 510s as replacements these days, though I put Kluson repros from Stew-Mac on the Strat.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I took off the old strings, cleaned the guitar, used the Nut Sauce, and put on some strings that were similar to the gauge that was one before...no it's totally out of whack.

I may of fiddled with the bridge height, but say it's in tune with a tuner. It will be in tune on say a G chord but totally be out of tune with a bar chord.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
So I took off the old strings, cleaned the guitar, used the Nut Sauce, and put on some strings that were similar to the gauge that was one before...no it's totally out of whack.

I may of fiddled with the bridge height, but say it's in tune with a tuner. It will be in tune on say a G chord but totally be out of tune with a bar chord.
That would be the intonation, 99% sure.

If you don't know how to adjust it, I found this guide: http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/intonation.htm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts