The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
'59 LP Junior & Danocaster T
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Today was my first day off from gigging/studio stuff for the last month or so, and I decided to take my annual family picture. I couldn't fit the acoustics on the couch, so I just went for the electrics. This was a pretty cool year for gear. Everything except for a couple were acquired this year, and I would say that most of these are keepers to me.

1. 2010 Gibson Les Paul Jr, white finish, ebony board. I bought this one locally from a buddy after selling my BJA Jr on here and missing that P90 growl. It's got a Lollar P90 in it and sounds great for rock n' roll. The finish has seen better days, but the playability and tone are killer with this one.

2. 2010 Gibson Custom '57 Historic. I bought this one in college; mid 2014. It's been my go-to Lester for several years. I believe it was originally ordered through Mark's Guitar Loft, and it has a slimmer neck than most R7s. I put Sanford Magnetics pickups in it, and a Faber bridge/tailpiece. Both were amazing and well-deserved upgrades. I don't gig with an LP much anymore, but every time I pick up this one I fall in love all over again. I've had probably 50 Les Pauls at this point and this one is definitely up there with the best of them.

3. 1964-65 Gretsch 6134 Corvette. I bought this bad boy recently from the shop where I work. Can't quite make out the SN to decode the exact year. It came in with a cheap replacement pickguard, different pickup/electronics (had an old Duncan JB wired to a single volume) and a pretty cool Guild roller bridge. I had my tech here in town cut a new pickguard for it and wind a Filtertron, also replacing the pots at the same time. I also had the original tuners replaced with Sperzels. It's my go-to slide guitar and I keep it in open E for that purpose.

4. 2013 Danocaster "Esquire". I bought this one from a forum member in May, 2016 and it immediately became my main guitar shortly after acquiring it. I'd been looking for a Dano for years off and on and finally found this one in Canada. Being an Esquire as opposed to a Tele, I wasn't sure how I'd gel with the single pickup design, but it's such a magical guitar. It has a Budz pickup in it and a really amazing maple neck. This guitar manages to blow away most anyone who hears it, and it pushed me over the edge to order my own custom T from Dan. It came with a white pickguard, but I put the black bakelite one on there to get a bit of the early Jeff Beck vibe visually.

5. 2001 Rickenbacker 330JG. I just acquired this one in a local deal, having traded my Don Grosh Retro Classic for this. I just had an itch to try something new that I hadn't owned. Been enjoying it so far, although the narrow neck size and fairly weak pickups are an adjustment. I mostly am enjoying it for cleaner stuff.

6. 2008 Gretsch 7593 White Falcon. I bought this one in March from a good buddy locally. I had saved up a little cash from selling my Axe FX II, and decided to buy another Gretsch. I had been looking at 6120s and similar when he got ahold of me and let me know the WF was for sale. He cut me a deal I had no business turning down, and soon enough I had the coolest looking and sounding Gretsch on the block. It's an absolutely stunning guitar and I use it for many different things. It doesn't come on the road very often, but is taken to local gigs and studio sessions where I can. I grabbed a Vibramate string spoiler to aid with string changes for this one.

7. 2017 Danocaster Tele. I ordered this one from Dan to my specs, and it arrived around March of this year. To say it's anything less than absolutely magical is a total understatement. Since acquiring the guitar I've surely put a thousand or more hours on it, playing it daily as a main guitar for any work that I do. It also has Budz pickups, a maple neck, and extremely light weight. The gold finish has begun to oxidize heavily due to my constant playing of this guitar, and it only gets better as time goes on. The soft V neck is absolutely perfect for my style of play, and I've been able to use this guitar with fantastic success on numerous jobs enveloping many different styles of music. I have plans to order another Tele from Danocaster in 2018 I'm sure.

The guitar in the back is a Vox Apache with built in amp/drums that I use for teaching with or travelling. Not sure about its history, but it sure is cool.

Next up, I need a Dano thinline, a Gibson ES330/335, and maybe down the road I'll get that 70s white LPC I've wanted for so long.

Thanks for reading, and happy holidays to all.

W.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Great collection, even if you are missing a Strat & an SG.....;)

I’m torn about my fave, that White Falcon is nudging the Gold Top out of top spot. To be fair, I’ve never played a Dano, so I could be way off base.

+1 on Budz pickups. My Underwood “56 Strat” is loaded with them & they are spectacular - I’ve never used the bridge position on a maple Strat as much.

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're just a couple years out of college and you've had 50 Les Pauls?! You, sir, are my new hero!

Great collection!
Ha... yeah, it's been a wild ride. Growing up, my folks bought a lot of my guitars, but after about age 12, if I wanted something I had to figure out a way to pay for it. I started out selling old guitars and parts on Kijiji around jr high, graduated to some cheap guitars, and after a few years I was able to start getting access to some fairly nice instruments that I'd play for a bit and resell eventually, starting in high school. By college was selling/trading a lot of stuff and went through phases where I had a bunch of cool Les Pauls at different times, among other really cool Strats, Teles, other Gibsons, PRSi, boutique stuff... etc. The goldtop R7 was bought around this time and has stuck around all these years. It was a great learning experience too, I was able to figure out what I liked best in a guitar through true experience. I miss a fair few of the ones I had, but I think the collection is at an all time high.

W.

·
Premium Member
11,867 Posts
Nice collection. Refreshing to see a complete collection without a Strat. They just aren't for everyone - although I wonder when I go out and 80% of everyone everywhere is playing one.

I'm also curious about those VM Spoilers. Owning 4 Bigsby's, they seem too good to be true. Any issues with yours? Works like it should? My old school values leave me to believe "we should suffer for our art" - changing strings on a Bigsby is a part of that.

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice collection. Refreshing to see a complete collection without a Strat. They just aren't for everyone - although I wonder when I go out and 80% of everyone everywhere is playing one.

I'm also curious about those VM Spoilers. Owning 4 Bigsby's, they seem too good to be true. Any issues with yours? Works like it should? My old school values leave me to believe "we should suffer for our art" - changing strings on a Bigsby is a part of that.
The VM spoiler is a great, welcome addition to the Falcon. I typically have shyed away from owning too much with a Bigsby in the past due to my hassles with restringing them, so this helps speed up the process exponentially. I also noted a slight decrease in string tension due to the fact that the strings are no longer being bent around the Bigsby post, which allows my 11-49 strings to feel closer to the 10-46 set I use on most other guitars.

The Goldtop Dano caught my eye right away, great collection.
Thank you, the gold Danocaster is an extremely special guitar. It goes with me where I go and is a fairly constant companion.

For me, it 's the Corvette. I have a '62.
The Corvette is a very cool guitar. I had been keeping an eye out for something in that vein (SG, another Jr, etc) to use for slide, and when this came up I had to have it. It turned out even better after I had it restored.

W.

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
You're just a couple years out of college and you've had 50 Les Pauls?! You, sir, are my new hero!

Great collection!
Will

You have to put some recording up here. @59burst have you ever heard Will play? That’s when he’ll become your hero!!! Don’t bow out Will, share some tunes man.

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts

I felt that way from 1989 when I started playing to 2012 when I did a recording session in Spain. I finally fell “in love” with the strat thing. It’s really one of the best guitars out there. IMHO

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I would have the Gretsch in front too. Those are beautiful guitars.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Great herd... ;-)
But I kind of hear your acoustics sobbing, aren't they ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts