The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I've aways wanted a SF Deluxe Reverb. Preferably a 68 with the drip edge. Luckily, through a series of fortunate events i ended up building the SFDR's big brother for a very low cost. My amp is a 75 Super Reverb, cut down and loaded with a 60s Jensen EM1500. Essentially a SF facimile of a 64 Vibroverb. Its a great amp, but I still want a Deluxe Reverb. I also have a 1973 Pepco Princeton Reverb clone.

So yesterday I had 5 hours to kill in a town with nothing to do. Enter Long & McQuade. I sat down with a brand new Jensen Special Design loaded FSR oxblood/wheat DRRI and a new American Pro Telecaster. After about an hour of jamming, I came to an unfortunate conclusion: I wouldn't mind having a DR, but I have no use for it.

I found the DR, with its modern speaker, is every bit as loud as my amp. The tones were virtually identical to each other, with perhaps the only difference being north of 5 on the dial.
I told myself I already have the same damn thing, so whats the point in spending 1500 bucks to save myself an inch or two of height, and inch of width, and ten pounds. Today, logic won the battle, and GAS lost.

But if anyone comes across a good deal on a Twin Reverb chassis, I have a cab that needs sound....

·
Premium Member
3,414 Posts
Ahh, the old “ what a smoking deal! this amp sounds great!” routine.
I saw an amp the other day for a great deal, researched it, played it & worked out that “Hey, I already OWN that amp”

I’m the same with overdrive pedals.
My problem is in the back of my head, “I will NEED that someday...” and it just sits on the shelf.

Sent from my other brain.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh, the old “ what a smoking deal! this amp sounds great!” routine.
I saw an amp the other day for a great deal, researched it, played it & worked out that “Hey, I already OWN that amp”

I’m the same with overdrive pedals.
My problem is in the back of my head, “I will NEED that someday...” and it just sits on the shelf.

Sent from my other brain.
If I really wanted to, I could convert my Super to a DR and cut the cab down even further for a single 12. Then i have a wide DR with a Mid pot. I can turn my amp into a close facimile of any 22-45 watt Fender BF/SF era amp. The only thing i cant do is turn it into a Twin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts