The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I have been wanting an original finish Jr for ages. I am getting picky in my old age and only have a few guitars and my one criteria is I love original finishes.
I can't ever see myself spending 4-6k on a Jr. So I got this...the next best thing.
A 1963 Guild Jetstar S50. Its very cool. Feels a lot like a vintage Gibson. Pickup is very clear and strong.
Just wanted to share.
Cheers

Guitar String instrument String instrument Musical instrument Electric guitar
Pink Red Design Magenta
Guitar String instrument Musical instrument Plucked string instruments String instrument
String instrument Guitar String instrument Musical instrument Plucked string instruments

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not what I would call heavy, but its got some weight to it for sure. I like guitars with a bit of heft to them. I have had a few Melody Makers and an Epiphone Jr type guitar and I can't bond with the lightweight skinny bodies.

The bridge is definitely weird. Its not a super valuable guitar, so I might consider swapping it for a LP wraparound style. But...it does have a unique metallic tone when played acoustically and its loud!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
congratulations it is lovely guitar.
It is interesting that I also correspond weight with the quality.
For guitars, laptops even phones. When you have some heft in the hands it really feels solid.
Rock On!

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Wraptail would be sexy on that, but it's an amazing looking axe, congrats. What are they worth?

Now I want a Jetstar bass lol

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I paid a grand for it which is actually on the high end of what its worth, but it was local and its just as cool as a 5k Jr IMHO.

·
Registered
18,586 Posts
Sometimes, running out of G.A.S. can be a lot of fun. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now...to mod or not to mod. I can hear the bridge affecting the tone. It would probably be way better with a wraptail on it....but who am I to drill into a 54 yr old, 100% original guitar??

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think that guitar is really cool as is.
But if you plan on keeping it, modding it to suit you better makes sense.
Either way, nice score!

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
There are many bridges in the guitar world. Post a picture of what's under that cover. Maybe someone can suggest a high-quality bridge that would do the job without visibly disturbing the vintage vibe.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I absolutely LOVE Guilds. Acoustics and electrics. They made some really "off the beaten path" stuff back in the day--like your guitar. My advice: don't drill it or otherwise permanently mod it. Instead, sell that one to me :)

By any chance did you get that from a guy named Nick? If so, I bought his Guild F-20 from eBay about a month ago. Incredible guitar. I believe he also had one similar to yours for sale at the same time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.