The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I have been wanting an original finish Jr for ages. I am getting picky in my old age and only have a few guitars and my one criteria is I love original finishes.
I can't ever see myself spending 4-6k on a Jr. So I got this...the next best thing.
A 1963 Guild Jetstar S50. Its very cool. Feels a lot like a vintage Gibson. Pickup is very clear and strong.
Just wanted to share.
Cheers

anewguild.JPG
anewguildback.JPG
anewguildbody.JPG
anewguildhead.JPG

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its not what I would call heavy, but its got some weight to it for sure. I like guitars with a bit of heft to them. I have had a few Melody Makers and an Epiphone Jr type guitar and I can't bond with the lightweight skinny bodies.

The bridge is definitely weird. Its not a super valuable guitar, so I might consider swapping it for a LP wraparound style. But...it does have a unique metallic tone when played acoustically and its loud!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
congratulations it is lovely guitar.
It is interesting that I also correspond weight with the quality.
For guitars, laptops even phones. When you have some heft in the hands it really feels solid.
Rock On!

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
Wraptail would be sexy on that, but it's an amazing looking axe, congrats. What are they worth?

Now I want a Jetstar bass lol

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I paid a grand for it which is actually on the high end of what its worth, but it was local and its just as cool as a 5k Jr IMHO.

·
Registered
18,581 Posts
Sometimes, running out of G.A.S. can be a lot of fun. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now...to mod or not to mod. I can hear the bridge affecting the tone. It would probably be way better with a wraptail on it....but who am I to drill into a 54 yr old, 100% original guitar??

·
Registered
550 Posts
I think that guitar is really cool as is.
But if you plan on keeping it, modding it to suit you better makes sense.
Either way, nice score!

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
There are many bridges in the guitar world. Post a picture of what's under that cover. Maybe someone can suggest a high-quality bridge that would do the job without visibly disturbing the vintage vibe.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
I absolutely LOVE Guilds. Acoustics and electrics. They made some really "off the beaten path" stuff back in the day--like your guitar. My advice: don't drill it or otherwise permanently mod it. Instead, sell that one to me :)

By any chance did you get that from a guy named Nick? If so, I bought his Guild F-20 from eBay about a month ago. Incredible guitar. I believe he also had one similar to yours for sale at the same time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts