The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to know, do any of you have any special feeling towards your first guitar? My first one is a middle-level Ibanez SR600, bought used (didn't want to spend a lot of money, but didn't want to purchase that starter kit crap). Great condition, great sound, but it has some of those nasty scratches all over its body. No matter what, she is my first and she is my favorite! And she has became a part of my life the same day I bought it. And I would never sell my first one to anyone.

And no matter how good she is, I am still going to purchase a high-level Status Charger bass. (Actually, the two look quite similar.) Gigging would be best with the Status, since it has better characteristics, but learning new songs and practicing can surely be done on an Ibanez.

Actually, you can take a look at my future bass (an addition, not a replacement) at http://www.status-graphite.com/status/carts3/frames/frame4.htm, by going to Basses --> Charger.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have a Status base. Semi hollow, figured maple over mahogany, satin finish body, piezo only p`ups...it`s a light as a feather and a blast to play. Came with black tape wound strings. When I got it I contacted the company and they told me I paid about half of what they should go for...got it on sale. It`s a lovely instrument and some day I hope to be able to play it.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
My first guitar is a POS. It was a Samick something...

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
My first electric was an early 70's Tele that was "upgraded" with Brass hardware and a brass nut. I wish I still had it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
If you dont count my dad's old Yamaha acoustic, or his crappy electric, my first guitar was a Stage, it had the body of a strat, but a pointy headstock (it was made of plywood, and was pretty crappy). I still have my 2nd guitar, its a "Contessa" nylon string guitar (I played classical for 5 years).

After that guitar I bought an Epiphone LP-100 in Heretage Cherry burst

Then I got a Epiphone SG G-400 Custom (3 pickups and gold hardware)

Then I moved to a Godin XtSa guitar (superior in many ways) but sold it becuase it didn't look right with the kind of music I was playing (i wish i kept it, that guitar was solid)

My Current Guitars:
Fender 2000 American Tele Custom
Larrivee LV-03E (beautiful guitar, sounds better every time I pick it up)
Danelectro U2 reissue (have yet to play this one out, its more of a backup)

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
My first guitar was the ultimate POS. A Zenon - MIJ way back when Japanese quality was like Indonesian. Flat neck ( radius = infinity) - Dearmond knockoff pups that sound like *(&^. But I learned my three cord progressions on it.

Lent it to a friend who kept it behind his bedroom door. One day his bedroom door wouldn't open all the way. He gave it a good shove. 'CRACK!' went the neck. It got what it desevered.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I still have mine - an '83 Tokai 'Golden Sound' strat copy. Unfortunately, I got the bright ideas of a) seeing what was under the paint and b) dealing with the twisted neck by seeing what scalloped fretboard what feel like. I've since replaced that neck with a MIM neck and it's not too bad, although somewhere along the line a hack guitar 'repairman' messed up the neck joint and I need a HUGE shim to get the neck at a playable angle. Some day I'm going to do right by it and have it all fixed up. I've refinished it in metallic gold (still needs a clearcoat) and someday will try replacing the hot rails pickup in the bridge with something closer to the original.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My first was a teardrop Silvertone I paid a whopping $29.95 for. It was terrible but, I loved it. I would love to still have it, just because.

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
My first was a brand spankin' new BC Rich Mockingbird in an eye-popping "kinda pink-kinda purple" hue... Couldn't believe my dad said "sure" when I asked for it for my 15th b'day.

Spent a couple years with it before selling it to a friend who'd loved it from day one.

Don't know that I'd want that particular guitar back now, but I do keep an eye open for any deals that might pop up on an early Mockingbird. I did notice that BC Rich seems to have some on sale for the month of March with cloud inlays (which mine didn't have) - but the site doesn't seem to have any Canadian stores listed. Just haven't bothered to follow up with any of the local stores.

As far as first guitars go, it was better than decent for staying in tune (after I learned about the whole "you have to actually tune your guitar" thing) and it certainly exhibited the right attitude for a young rocker at the time. 'bout as big as a mid-70's Ford Thunderbird mind you...

·
Registered
46 Posts
My first guitar was a Slammer Pacer I think..strat copy. I just picked it out cause I liked how it looked. I Had it for 4-5 years then I sold it for pedal money. Don't really miss it..maybe I will later on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts