The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really love G12H30s have them in my Mini Cat II, 18 Watt clone and Fuchs.

Blues are great have one in my Tweed Deluxe.

Weber speakers in my Bassman, Champ, and Princeton.

Cannibis Rex in my Deluxe.

Wizard in my Hot Cat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm currently favoring the Tonespotters for the fusion (RF/Carlton) tone, but the Red, White, and Blues are a pretty close second. The Weber designed/Eminence built speakers that are in my Fender 57 Tweed, are some of the BEST speakers I have ever had the pleasure of playing through, (now that they are broken in) and are a perfect match for that amp.
I'm also VERY interested in the newly released (this years NAMM) EVM12L 200watt Classic that EV has (finally) reissued.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
My Celestion Blues in a Jenkins 2x12 cab has been killer with alot of different amp heads...like Mayfly's BC30, Fender Bandmaster Reverb (yes...very loud...have to be careful), Dr. Z Maz18Jr, and even while running a Fender Champ II (Rivera Era) thru it.....

Recentlly, I swapped an Eminence Cannabis Rex into my ToneKing Comet and fell in love with that amp all over again.

·
Registered
698 Posts
JamesPeters said:
G12H30 mixed with Vintage 30, my favorite combination.
James - what do you think of that combination in a Marshall 1936 and a 100W Laney head (GH100TI)? The 100W rating is pretty conservative for the amp...it's frighteningly loud. Easly keeps up with my friend's Bogner 101b. I'm concerned about blowing the hell out of the drivers. I don't run it real hard all that often, but once in a while...

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
My favorites are the 90 Watt Black Shadow 12" Celestians that Mesa Boogie use.............

·
Registered
93 Posts
Emohawk said:
James - what do you think of that combination in a Marshall 1936 and a 100W Laney head (GH100TI)? The 100W rating is pretty conservative for the amp...it's frighteningly loud. Easly keeps up with my friend's Bogner 101b. I'm concerned about blowing the hell out of the drivers. I don't run it real hard all that often, but once in a while...
I never did like the Marshall 1936 since it has very pronounced midrange (the upper mids are what gets my goat) and a lack of depth to the sound. I've heard a number of speakers in these cabs and I've never really liked the results. I haven't played that Laney amp, so I can't comment on how the two would sound together anyway. Sorry.

·
Registered
698 Posts
JamesPeters said:
I never did like the Marshall 1936 since it has very pronounced midrange (the upper mids are what gets my goat) and a lack of depth to the sound. I've heard a number of speakers in these cabs and I've never really liked the results. I haven't played that Laney amp, so I can't comment on how the two would sound together anyway. Sorry.
Don't apologize! You actually gave me an excellent answer without even realizing it...

The upper mid issue is EXACTLY the problem I have with my tone. I had thought it was the natural spikiness of the G12T-75's, but maybe it's a combination of the speakers & cab. I had been toying wiht the idea of a new cab anyway, so maybe I'll go that route instead & sell the 1936.

Anyone have comments on Avatar cabs? I'd be considering the Vintage Custom oversized 212 or maybe the 412 Special.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Emohawk said:
Don't apologize! You actually gave me an excellent answer without even realizing it...

The upper mid issue is EXACTLY the problem I have with my tone. I had thought it was the natural spikiness of the G12T-75's, but maybe it's a combination of the speakers & cab. I had been toying wiht the idea of a new cab anyway, so maybe I'll go that route instead & sell the 1936.

Anyone have comments on Avatar cabs? I'd be considering the Vintage Custom oversized 212 or maybe the 412 Special.
Avatar cabs are a great deal. They are 13 ply baltic birch, and you can customize grills, colours, and speakers. Great sounding cabinets. Although I'm pretty sure they don't ship to Canada. I just have mine shipped to the border and go pick it up, since it's only a 30 min drive. Save alot of money on duty this way as well.

·
Registered
698 Posts
taken said:
Avatar cabs are a great deal. They are 13 ply baltic birch, and you can customize grills, colours, and speakers. Great sounding cabinets. Although I'm pretty sure they don't ship to Canada. I just have mine shipped to the border and go pick it up, since it's only a 30 min drive. Save alot of money on duty this way as well.
Actually, there's a Canadian dealer now. http://www.steamcomusic.com/

$429 + GST & shipping for the G212 Special. $629 for the G212 Premier Vintage (oversized). $573 for the G412 Special.

You can't beat that if they're quality cabs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Emohawk said:
Actually, there's a Canadian dealer now. http://www.steamcomusic.com/

$429 + GST & shipping for the G212 Special. $629 for the G212 Premier Vintage (oversized). $573 for the G412 Special.

You can't beat that if they're quality cabs.
wow, that's great about the canadian dealer. thanks for the link! yeah they're great cabs, with 13 ply birch you'll get such nice tight low end and an "organic/woody" tone. one of the greatest cabs I've ever played was an Orange 412 and that has 18 ply birch with vintage 30's, so it's a fairly similar build for alot less money.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You beat me to the punch with the Steamco link. :)

It's hard for me to recommend Avatar cabs because I haven't tried any, however they do offer a lot of value for the money as well as options no matter what.

G12T-75s can sound a bit bright/edgy, for sure. I've found in some cabs they can sound fairly nice and warm but it's rare that I find a cab that suits them that well. Except at higher volumes--that's when I find G12T-75s start responding a bit more "normally", and can actually be pretty good sounding. I sometimes prefer using G12T-75s at higher volumes compared to other speakers. But I seldom play that loud.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Avatar cabs are raved about by many of my low end brethren south of the border.

I almost bought one when Steamco started in the fall.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is a bit tough cuz each amp and cab has it's own soul mate.

My Two Rock Combo Like a G12H-100 or a Bassman Cab with G12-65's in it.
My Opal likes Tone Tubby Hemp Cones
My Deluxe really likes the Cannabis Rex but it Loves the Tone Tubby Alnico papercone despite it's lower efficiency.
My 18 Watt clone likes the G12-65's but it LOVES Scumback SA12H-75's.
I also have a Bogner 1x12 Shiva style cab with a V30 in it. It has great low end.

My personal favourites are Tone Tubby Alnico Hemp Cones and the G12-65s.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well, two customers of mine (on the same day, coincidentally) reported to me recently that they both love the Avatar G212H Premier Vintage cab. One is using two Vintage 30s, the other is using a Vintage 30/G12H30 mix (Hellatone 60/Hellatone 30). I'll report more later if they have a chance to tell me some direct comparison notes with other cabs.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts