The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been dreaming about a Suhr Classic S for a long time. I'd even decided on my dream specs: lightweight alder body, Brazillian rosewood board, stainless steel frets. And of course the SSC (Silent Single Coil) built-in system. Of course, only dreaming... until NOW!

My dream showed up for sale used, in Canada too. So I pulled the trigger today! KAPOW! Fiesta Red is one of my favorite Strat colors too.

I can't wait!

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Hey Robboman
You will be very pleased. I have had that guitar in my hands a number of times and cranked it out through a number of my amps. It is KILLER !!!!
When Hugh decided to sell it, he offered it to me but, I had to pass as I have my dream Suhr Tele finally being built (due to a lost order and some build issues with my options) after an 18 month wait. It is also fiesta red and with 3 pickups and a trem. so there was a bit of a crossover there.
But I'm glad it's staying in the country,.....you'll love it .

Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i have been "noticing" bright red strats and teles everywhere lately. i wonder what the sociological/cultural implications are...:confused-smiley-010

my 86 strat plus is currently being "pimped" by my former bassist. i don't know the name of the colour, but it is intensely red. eventually, it will be neccessary to own a red tele.

i am determined to acquire a suhr guitar, and a musicman, at the earliest opportunity. in fact, i may even sacrifice my tonefull sunburst g&l legacy for that purpose. its a beautiful instrument, but the poorly designed trem bridge constantly ruins the fun.

-dh

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
david henman said:
...i have been "noticing" bright red strats and teles everywhere lately. i wonder what the sociological/cultural implications are...:confused-smiley-010
-dh
Hey David
Didn't you know .......Red guitars are louder :D

Pete

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Robbo - Very cool - Suhr's are certainly on another level all together. I'm excited for you... should be awesome! Let us know what you think when it arrives -

Peter

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
faracaster said:
Hey David
Didn't you know .......Red guitars are louder :D Pete
...whenever my girlfriend and i watch dvds together, i always point at knopfler or gilmour and tell her, "see, honey, THAT'S what a red guitar sounds like!"

-dh

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I should get the guitar on Monday Mar 5th. I think I'll give the Fedex guy a big hug! :tongue: I'll post a review once I've had a chance to wring it out a bit.

Pickups are Suhr V60s, the neck is (from Suhr site):

"56 Big V – To us, this and the Medium V are the only comfortable V neck shapes - big from .880" to .960", it rolls in at the fingerboard and is a soft V that tapers to almost no V. Recommended for V neck fans."

Actually, the neck profile is the one thing I might have spec'ed differently. I would have gone for the medium 'soft v', or maybe just med C. Hugh says it's not as big as it sounds, he called it chunky, toward the high end of medium, but not huge. I like V necks, hope I can dig it!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Robboman said:
I should get the guitar on Monday Mar 5th. I think I'll give the Fedex guy a big hug! :tongue: I'll post a review once I've had a chance to wring it out a bit.

Pickups are Suhr V60s, the neck is (from Suhr site):

"56 Big V – To us, this and the Medium V are the only comfortable V neck shapes - big from .880" to .960", it rolls in at the fingerboard and is a soft V that tapers to almost no V. Recommended for V neck fans."

Actually, the neck profile is the one thing I might have spec'ed differently. I would have gone for the medium 'soft v', or maybe just med C. Hugh says it's not as big as it sounds, he called it chunky, toward the high end of medium, but not huge. I like V necks, hope I can dig it!

First of all, I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS!:food-smiley-004:

I'll be interested to hear your opinion. I found the big V too just a hair too big for me, but I have small hands and it wasn't THAT big. I'm sure I could get used to it over time too as I have with every neck I've owned. I've heard the VLP's but not the V60's, but I have yet to hear a Suhr that sounded anything less that incredible - although I've only had the extreme pleasure of playing 4 of them. I'm sure it'll be a while before we get your report after receiving the guitar - you'll be far too busy playing! :banana:

Try to resist the temptation to call in sick on Monday :D. Save that for when you've received the guitar. ;)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So close...

So my wife, who was otherwise home all day, decides to step out shopping for an hour. Naturally Fedex showed up while no-one was home. DO'H! My Suhr will spend the night at the Fedex facility and we'll try to hook up again tomorrow.

Bummer. I was having such a good day too.:mad:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Suhr Strat has landed

I'll reserve any torrid details, intellectual observations, random thoughts and emotional outbursts over this instrument for now. At least until I spend a lot more time with it.. and play it on a stage somewhere. For now I'll just say I'm happy with my purchase. The seller is clearly a great guy (Bluehugh2 on TGP, not sure if he posts here). He even offered me a 48 hr return policy in case I didn't like it. No chance of that!

Here's my email to him..

Hugh,

Got the guitar yesterday, put it through it's paces last night.

You will NOT be getting this guitar back from me! It's fantastic, and I'm one happy camper! As good or better than you described, great tone, SSC is amazing, playability really nice. I even like the neck profile, funny how that works... after 20 minutes with it I switched to my old go-to Strat and it felt too thin. It's a very comfortable neck. I know it's still the honeymoon, but I can see what all the fuss is about these Suhr instruments. Possibly the best Strat I've ever had my hands on.

Pleasure doing this deal with you, Hugh. Thanks again.

...Rob in Calgary

1 - 15 of 15 Posts