The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early February, bylaw knocked on my door around 8-9pm telling me to move my truck out of my driveway and park on the road if i didn't want a ticket. Apparently you can't legally park within 5' of the road, even on your own property. But you can take up 6' of the road by parking there with no issues.

Every one of my neighbours both across and beside me hire private plows to clear their property, and the operators are less than delicate, and thats not even taking the city plow into consideration. A stipulation on my auto insurance says that i park in a driveway. I am parking in my driveway, there is no way in hell i am parking on the road. I tell him that, i offer to clear away the snow to show him i'm actually fully contained within my driveway. he doesn't care. so i tell him to leave the ticket in my mailbox and i'll see him in court.

That date's coming up soon and i'm mostly annoyed that i have to spend however much of the day fighting over 70$, but its more of a pride thing at this point.

Whats your verdict?

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Early February, bylaw knocked on my door around 8-9pm telling me to move my truck out of my driveway and park on the road if i didn't want a ticket. Apparently you can't legally park within 5' of the road, even on your own property. But you can take up 6' of the road by parking there with no issues.

Every one of my neighbours both across and beside me hire private plows to clear their property, and the operators are less than delicate, and thats not even taking the city plow into consideration. A stipulation on my auto insurance says that i park in a driveway. I am parking in my driveway, there is no way in hell i am parking on the road. I tell him that, i offer to clear away the snow to show him i'm actually fully contained within my driveway. he doesn't care. so i tell him to leave the ticket in my mailbox and i'll see him in court.

That date's coming up soon and i'm mostly annoyed that i have to spend however much of the day fighting over 70$, but its more of a pride thing at this point.

Whats your verdict?
That truck seems to be just one big civil disobedience for you. I don’t think it was meant to be.

Half-jokes aside ... what?! You can’t park a vehicle in your own driveway within 5’ of a turn? What?! Never heard anything that ridiculous. Road parking near a turn is illegal and for good reasons, but on your own property and off road? What?!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not just 5' of a turn, you cant park in your driveway within 5' of public property, aka the road or sidewalk. 1:3 of the people on my street could have been ticketed or told to move. That would have been fun. Could have shut the road down completely.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
The actual bylaws state that you cannot "park on driveway within 0.5 m of sidewalk" or "park on driveway within 1.5 m of roadway - no sidewalk". If you were not in contravention of either of those, the bylaw officer doesn't have a leg to stand on.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Screw him and the city !!! What a farce. Dont they have other more pressing things to attend too !!!!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The actual bylaws state that you cannot "park on driveway within 0.5 m of sidewalk" or "park on driveway within 1.5 m of roadway - no sidewalk". If you were not in contravention of either of those, the bylaw officer doesn't have a leg to stand on.
i was definitely in violation of the 1.5m one, but is it really a ticket-able offence? I walked around taking pictures of all my neighbours within eyesight that were doing the same. I have a trailer parked in my driveway, so my truck has to be parked at the end. its a 4 car driveway. how do single car driveways even exist then???

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just in case ... make sure to ask him how far you were from the road exactly and how he determined that. Odds are he didn't measure it with a tape measure or something, therefore can't give evidence as to the actual distance. No accurate distance info, no conviction. Pacing it out or 'toe to heel so many times' doesn't count.

·
Premium Member
17,345 Posts
I'm stuck trying to wrap my head around this bylaw. It's got to be one of the fuckin dumbest things I've ever heard.
I think it's primarily in effect for the people who think they should park their car across a sidewalk that cuts their driveway.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts