The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
This is a huge fear of mine. I try to pay cash whenevr possible, I hate using m debit or credit to pay for things. My friends had his debit information taken from him three times now - of course, TD got his money back, but the thought drives me crazy.

· Registered
1,941 Posts
sell_out said:
This is a huge fear of mine. I try to pay cash whenevr possible, I hate using m debit or credit to pay for things. My friends had his debit information taken from him three times now - of course, TD got his money back, but the thought drives me crazy.
Cover the pad when entering your PIN and make sure you don't lose sight of your card. One swipe and those skimmers have your info! You just have to be aware of your surroundings.

3 times is pretty excessive and unusual or very unlucky. Are you sure his PIN isn't "1234"?

Also watch what information you reveal. I work for one of the largest banks in Canada in their call centre and you would be surprised at how many people when asked "What is your telephone banking passWORD" immediately tell me their PIN number (FYI: that's not what I'm asking for). No one from the bank will EVER ask for your PIN number.

· Registered
70 Posts
I just got a call from my bank today,,, suspicios activity on my CC.. and yup.. the charges weren't mine,,, all made within the past week,,,

over 3100.00 in charges,,, mostly from telco's... (in-voice.com out of germany and ya pond out of mongolia,, so they tell me,,, ),, he questioned me alot about itunes,,, a lot of questions,,, (where I did have an account from over a year ago),, so i'm wondering if they know something,, others don't????

anyway,, cibc visa told me not to worry about the charges,,,

· Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I just got a call from my bank today,,, suspicios activity on my CC.. and yup.. the charges weren't mine,,, all made within the past week,,,

over 3100.00 in charges,,, mostly from telco's... (in-voice.com out of germany and ya pond out of mongolia,, so they tell me,,, ),, he questioned me alot about itunes,,, a lot of questions,,, (where I did have an account from over a year ago),, so i'm wondering if they know something,, others don't????

anyway,, cibc visa told me not to worry about the charges,,,
Glad to hear CIBC is taking care of you just like Scotiabank took care of me.

· Registered
562 Posts
Not sure if this was mentioned yet or not but ALWAYS look for anything out of the ordinary on your bank machine, the debit machine at whatever store you're at or whatever. Sometimes there will be a little attatchment on the reader. If you see something like that, report it. There was a gas station that my mom went to about a year back adn then she got a call saying that there was a reader attatched and that she needed to get a new card. Always be aware.

· Registered
941 Posts
Yikes!!!!

I was a victim of identity theft once. I had to do everything myself. BMO hung me out to dry. It took three years working with police and the collection agency after the guy (not me) to catch him.. errr... her (tuned out to be a woman pretending to be a guy). BMO still said, "Oh well, whatever". They made it clear they didn't care who the money was extracted from, as long as they didn't have to pay it :mad:

It took police to threaten charges against my own bank to clear me of being on the hook for the $!

Since then I've only used prepaid Visa cards from Vancity CU. I never went to another bank again!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.