The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
Reverend Flatroc (1st gen import), Gibson Melody Maker (2003 variation), Tele Builds
5,743 Posts
I am way more worried about 'real life' theft then online theft.

I spent last week dealing with the issues that resulted from someone somehow getting my Social Insurance number, and using it to sign up for about 20 credit cards. If you want to know what the meaning of hassle is, it's identity theft.

In my case the guy trying it wasn't very bright though. He used my SIN and my name, but didn't even use my correct birthdate when applying. Which sent up a red flag as soon as the credit card companies started processing the applications.

I also know tons of people who have had their credit card numbers and debit card numbers stolen around here.

I have been shopping online though for years and never had a problem. IMO you have way more to worry about offline.

· Premium Member
Reverend Flatroc (1st gen import), Gibson Melody Maker (2003 variation), Tele Builds
5,743 Posts
nine said:
That's exactly how they do it. They can skim the card by either:

1. Having someone on the inside that swipes it through the skimmer while you're not paying attention.
2. Compromising the actual unit you're putting your card into.
3. By attaching the skimming unit over top of where you'd put your card in the bank machine.

I have heard one sign to watch out for is if they are doing multiple swipes with your card.

· Premium Member
5,743 Posts
J S Moore said:
One of the guest speakers had been arrested for credit card and cheque fraud a number of times. All the ways he gained access to the information were incredibly easy and simple. Like paying his friend, who worked at a gas station, $20 per credit slip. It's that easy.

I never use my credit card or debit card at gas stations anymore for that reason. Both people I know who had their cards copied, had it done at gas stations. And if you watch stories on the news, a good % of the time when they bust people it's at gas stations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.