The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Garnet Mach V from 1969. Was playing this morning and it cut out. A puff of white smoke came wafting through the input jacks and a bad electronic burning smell came with it.

Guess I need to find a repair person...

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
My whole basement was full of smoke when the transformer burned on my Garnet. Previous owner had thevwrong fuse in it. Had the amp re -capped and maintenanced along with genuine Garnet transformer replacement.

Sounds like you should get away with a lot less than $700. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
White smoke is usually a cap being over stressed...too much voltage.
If you are going to open it up to determine the cooked parts they should quite obvious.
There may be a powder trail leading to the culprit.
If you are going to attempt the repair, I suggest investing $20.00 and building an amp/component / headache saver.
Lots of simple build designs and info out there.
There may be a reason other than old age why the component cooked, the series- load- light bulb will allow you to troubleshoot, if so inclined. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to take it to a guy in Sudbury (nearest city) who is well recommended. Between my eyesight and poor dexterity (carpal tunnel syndrome) I can't do much electronics repair anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
It might not be so bad. Besides when he’s in there he may find a few other cheap parts that need to go. Then you’ll be good for another decade.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had an amp do that. Dropped it off with a knowledgeable friend. Called me a few days later to let me know he managed to get the smoke back in. I thought I had just melted it with my shred but apparently something on the power supply side had needed some solder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts