The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:

It allready ate 3 new preamp tubes.... in 2 weeks.

Heres the story:

I was playing one night and noticed that my volume was swellin' in and out. So i open the back plate do that little "tap on the tube and see if it clangs through the speaker thing."Turns out my v1 needed to be replaced. So i ordered 1 new tung sol and 2 high gain jj's ( for my mp-1).

Get them, put them in and rock out. So again the following week of putting the new tubes in i was playing and i noticed how the damn volume swellin came back :mad: , I changed it out for one of the jj's, sounded good for a while then it died on me.

I currently play it now with the mp-1 into the fx loop.. with no volume problems.

Can any hommie help me out?


BTW the amps a Laney Gh100L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,665 Posts
"Uh oh..."

kiloolik said:
:mad:

It allready ate 3 new preamp tubes.... in 2 weeks.

Heres the story:

I was playing one night and noticed that my volume was swellin' in and out. So i open the back plate do that little "tap on the tube and see if it clangs through the speaker thing."Turns out my v1 needed to be replaced. So i ordered 1 new tung sol and 2 high gain jj's ( for my mp-1).

Get them, put them in and rock out. So again the following week of putting the new tubes in i was playing and i noticed how the damn volume swellin came back :mad: , I changed it out for one of the jj's, sounded good for a while then it died on me.

I currently play it now with the mp-1 into the fx loop.. with no volume problems.

Can any hommie help me out?


BTW the amps a Laney Gh100L
Sounds like you need a tech! Either you've gotten 2 bad tubes in a row (not likely, but hey - people do win lotteries or get hit by lightning!) or you've got a coupling cap feeding a preamp tube shorting or leaking and allowing high voltage to hit the wrong spot on the tube. Or something else like a power supply resistor string problem.

Whatever, swapping tubes is as likely to solve things as switching tires will fix a bad transmission.

Somebody's gonna have to crawl inside your amp and sniff the solder...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wild Bill said:
Sounds like you need a tech! Either you've gotten 2 bad tubes in a row (not likely, but hey - people do win lotteries or get hit by lightning!) or you've got a coupling cap feeding a preamp tube shorting or leaking and allowing high voltage to hit the wrong spot on the tube. Or something else like a power supply resistor string problem.

Whatever, swapping tubes is as likely to solve things as switching tires will fix a bad transmission.

Somebody's gonna have to crawl inside your amp and sniff the solder...
haha, yeah i guess ill bring it over to a tech.

I forgot to mention it has been modded by Voodoo Mods about 4 years ago, so maybe i could jsut send it to them.... too much of a hassle though.

Does any body know a good tech in the Montreal area?

btw thanks for your help Wild Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,665 Posts
kiloolik said:
btw thanks for your help Wild Bill

A ta service quelquetemps, si tu pardon ma pauvre "franglais!"

Guillaume le Savage, ou Feral, ou fou...comment on dit que ca?:confused-smiley-010
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,665 Posts
kiloolik said:
:confused::confused:

hahah huh?
I've been looking for years now for a equivalent to "Wild Bill" en francais but no one has been able to help with something quick and comfortable. Just very awkward translations like you'd expect from the PQ/BQ language police - you know, terms that take so long to say that you forget what you were talking about in the first place! :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wild Bill said:
I've been looking for years now for a equivalent to "Wild Bill" en francais but no one has been able to help with something quick and comfortable. Just very awkward translations like you'd expect from the PQ/BQ language police - you know, terms that take so long to say that you forget what you were talking about in the first place! :rolleyes:
OH hahaha, i feel dumb now.

French has never been my thing :p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
I noticed you said that since you started using your loop, you haven't had any volume problems. It sounds like you did have a tube problem initially but I would suggest that you also clean the loop jack contacts in your amp. I can't tell you how many volume swell issues I have fixed by merely cleaning/replacing the FX loop jacks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nonreverb said:
I noticed you said that since you started using your loop, you haven't had any volume problems. It sounds like you did have a tube problem initially but I would suggest that you also clean the loop jack contacts in your amp. I can't tell you how many volume swell issues I have fixed by merely cleaning/replacing the FX loop jacks.
Well when i used the FX loop, i ment i would plug a preamp into the return to bypass the amps preamp.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top