The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over on HC I was asked to show my home made guitar collection. This is just the guitars that I have currently, and plan to keep.

Posting it here, instead of the luthiers forum, since theyre completed.. but anyone who hasnt browsed through the luthiers forum should, there are some pretty damn talented Canadian builders there!

#1 (from the left) is my Tele, with two EMG 85's and a three way selector, single tone and volume. Poplar (yes, as much as it may be hard to believe... Poplar! ) body with 1/4" curly maple top and back. Bound with white/black binding and a three colour lacquer burst. Maple neck, RW board 21 jumbo frets. All black hardware and Graphtech saddles. A surprisingly versatile and easy playing guitar with the lowest action of them all.

#2 is my other home made tele style, a single piece white ash body, drilled out and capped with 1/8" of sitka spruce. Single bound on the top with creme binding. Three rio grande P90's (bluesbar in bridge and two jazzbars) with 5 way strat switching and a gotoh TOM bridge, string through body ferrules. One piece cocobolo RW neck with RW board. 22 medium frets. lacquer finish as well.

#3 is my copy of a 56' Les Paul Jr. (I had access to an original for measurements and templates) with a gotoh wraparound bridge, single rio grande bluesbar and single tone/volume. mahogany body and one piece neck, RW board. like most of my guitars, gotoh tuners and dual action rod. Finished in lacquer, with a sort of 56' burst. Single ply black guard. Fine playing guitar, which can double as a baseball bat in a pinch (note: almost all my guitars for me are fat and wide necks... I love a meaty neck).

#4 is the pearwood body, bolt on Indonesian RW neck one I did, with a set of TV Jone's classics, a Baggs TOM piezo bridge and contol X unit for blending the passive and pieze pickups. Gotoh aluminum stop bar, and gotoh tuners. Medium fretwire. This one is a really nice player with the most jangly sounds... and acoustic tone to die for. Plays really well also. I like it! 5 ply pickguard and 3 way switching.

#5 is my Claro walnut topped, ash bodied chambered beast. It has gone through a few changes but it now has two HB pickups from stew mac, three way switch and single tone/volume. Mahogany set neck, ebony board from a genuine LP custom. Dual action rod, gotoh tuners and a schaller roller bridge with bastardised set in Bigbsy (was a#7 model originally with the bar). This is my bluesy guitar... it is really nice to play and has a great spank to the sound.

#6 is the semi hollow in my AVatar. Built using preformed stewmac back and front, and bent maple sides (that I later veneered with curly maple veneer). Three piece maple and mahogany neck, bound board, headstock and body with creme binding. Two TV classics and three way switching, two volume, one tone. Bigsby vibrato & schaller roller bridge. Ebony board and medium wire. Gotoh art deco tuners. One of my faves!

#7 (lying down) is probably my best electric IMO and the one I always come back to playing more than anything else. Its my dual cutaway mahogany body with carved curly maple cap, set mahogany neck with RW board from a genuine Gibson LP (refretted with jumbo wire). Two FRalin HB's which are to die for in the tone dept. Single volume and tone, with cut split on the volume. Black hardware, grover locking tuners, guitar fetish roller bridge and tailpiece. Just a great well balanced guitar that has a simple layout but versatile sound.

#8 (finally) is the fat one... my first and to date only acoustic (but it has a fishman piezo pickup installed). Dreadnaught size, Indian RW back and sides, Sitka top and ebony board. I need to reshape the neck a little bit as its very wide and fat and although I;ve been playing it for a year and a bit, and love it, I think I will thin the neck down just a wee bit. Its all about making a guitar, playing it, and then reworking it as you please - to make yourself a totally custom for you instrument. Gotoh gold tuners with ebony buttons.

#9 is my Trinity 18 watt kit amp and cabinet.

·
Premium Member
13,262 Posts
Oh bugger. I have trouble changing a tube. Damn that's a nice homemade collection.

·
Premium Member
17,906 Posts
I checked out the thread showing the stages of construction for the Les Paul Jr.

Awesome job! I'd love to have a simple "meat and potatoes" guitar like that.

Simplicity can be a wondeful thing.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Very nice Andrew! They are all beautiful, but the Les Paul Jr. is stunning.:bow: Do you just make them for yourself or do you take orders?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mario said:
Very nice Andrew! They are all beautiful, but the Les Paul Jr. is stunning.:bow: Do you just make them for yourself or do you take orders?

I have sold a few and made a few for others to order, but its generally not something I do becasue of time, and the fact its hard to make a custom guitar for someone you cant meet in person.

That being said I am doing a custom order for a fellow in Ottawa soon, but he knows exactly what he wants and gave me all the specs without me having to add anything myself.

Maybe later on I may try and get more into it but for now I just dont have that much free time.

AJC

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lowtones, that means a lot coming from a guy I know can out build me easily.

I would LOVE to see a collection of your instruments!

AJC

·
Registered
644 Posts
ajcoholic said:
Lowtones, that means a lot coming from a guy I know can out build me easily.

I would LOVE to see a collection of your instruments!

AJC
So would I. But I can't seem to keep them around. LOL Honestly I don't have even one that I've made at this time. People keep giving me money and taking them away from me. I am however going to make myself a demo guitar (for me) with that nice piece of quilt I picked up last week. I, like everyone else, have to get in line and wait my turn.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
man, nice collection. U R Teh 1337sauce.:tongue:

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tybone, thanks man - but tears?? Thats crazy! :) They are not too hard to make really. Its fun and quite cool to play your own stuff IMO.

Where am I? Small mining town called Kirkland Lake. ABout 6 1/2 hours due north of Toronto, or 2 1/2 north of North Bay on highway 11. Just 40 km from the ONtario/Quebec border.

AJC

1 - 18 of 18 Posts