The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But, it was ten years old. I built it myself from the highest-end components I could afford at the time. On the happy side, I was able to buy a replacement from Canada Computers on a Black Friday sale for less than half the cost with much faster components. Was going to switch to Apple but there's too many pieces of software I'd have to replace.

I was able to move my SSD from the old PC to the new one and she fired right up! Waiting for the Microsoft "Licence Authentication" hammer to drop though.

·
Premium Member
16,804 Posts
I replace mine after two years.

I have a new Thinkpad on its way to me.

We generally spend between $1000 and $2000. I'm not fussy. If it can't be Apple it doesn't matter much to me.

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I built this one. Took me two weeks. Had watercooling, 8 fans, 2 x GPUs in SLI mode, weighed about the same as a large tube amp!

P

·
0 Posts
What are the specs of the old and new computers?

What died in the old one that couldn't be replaced?

Would you mind sharing what the new one cost?

Are you able to run your old Windows on your new PC? How do you do this?

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I don't know what died. I've done a little bit of troubleshooting but ran out of time/patience. I suspect the motherboard as it's been a little bit flaky since new. The audio never worked and over the last two years, I've sometimes had to power it on and off several times before it would boot up. The one I purchased is this one: Welcome - Canada Computers & Electronics.

It came with a 256GB SSD with Windows 10 and another 2TB HDD (which I'll likely never use). I booted it up as it came just to make sure everything was working. I then moved my Windows 10 1TB SSD from the dead PC over to this one. Went into the BIOS and changed the boot order to use my drive as the primary boot drive. Windows 10 booted up, configured itself and 5 min later I'm working with my old files and applications.

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Forgot your other question. The old PC was an ASUS Rampage III Extreme with an Intel i7 975 CPU, a CoolerMaster 1250W power supply, a GTX 980 GPU and 6GB DRAM.

P

·
0 Posts
I don't know what died. I've done a little bit of troubleshooting but ran out of time/patience. I suspect the motherboard as it's been a little bit flaky since new. The audio never worked and over the last two years, I've sometimes had to power it on and off several times before it would boot up. The one I purchased is this one: Welcome - Canada Computers & Electronics.

It came with a 256GB SSD with Windows 10 and another 2TB HDD (which I'll likely never use). I booted it up as it came just to make sure everything was working. I then moved my Windows 10 1TB SSD from the dead PC over to this one. Went into the BIOS and changed the boot order to use my drive as the primary boot drive. Windows 10 booted up, configured itself and 5 min later I'm working with my old files and applications.
Could you get a new motherboard for the old one?

·
Premium Member
16,804 Posts
IMG_0162.JPG

Well, when you're a pounder like I am, a case of beer is a bit more than someone might want to pay.

Right now, my mother board is deteriorating. I can't run without the adaptor but the battery health says excellent.

Also, as you can see, I've broken the enter key in half.

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
I was able to move my SSD from the old PC to the new one and she fired right up! Waiting for the Microsoft "Licence Authentication" hammer to drop though.
Yeah, what a pain they (deliberately) make that!

For decades I've done what you've done, building from high-end components to get blazing-fast machines. Always had full legal copies of the operating system for every computer, lately Windows 10 on USB sticks as sold by Microsoft.

Yet when a failure requires that a part be replaced, or a system is retired and replaced with new hardware, Microsoft has authentication hoops that I'm positive were designed by a committee of childish teenagers led by Machiavelli. Unlike Apple and Adobe they don't have any way to UN-authenticate a copy so you can do a hassle-free install somewhere else.

You're going to have to call into an automated system. Get a pad and paper, you're going to have to write down six-eight sets of VERY long numbers one at a time, and type each of them into the new computer while also dealing with the automated system prompting you every few seconds to ask if you're done yet or it will hang up. Grrrr!

All to install a legal copy from legal media that they KNOW has only been installed one or two times before over a period of years. I hope the dweebs who dreamed that up end up in hell having to do it themselves for eternity.

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, what a pain they (deliberately) make that!

For decades I've done what you've done, building from high-end components to get blazing-fast machines. Always had full legal copies of the operating system for every computer, lately Windows 10 on USB sticks as sold by Microsoft.

Yet when a failure requires that a part be replaced, or a system is retired and replaced with new hardware, Microsoft has authentication hoops that I'm positive were designed by a committee of childish teenagers led by Machiavelli. Unlike Apple and Adobe they don't have any way to UN-authenticate a copy so you can do a hassle-free install somewhere else.

You're going to have to call into an automated system. Get a pad and paper, you're going to have to write down six-eight sets of VERY long numbers one at a time, and type each of them into the new computer while also dealing with the automated system prompting you every few seconds to ask if you're done yet or it will hang up. Grrrr!

All to install a legal copy from legal media that they KNOW has only been installed one or two times before over a period of years. I hope the dweebs who dreamed that up end up in hell having to do it themselves for eternity.
Ugh. How much is a new copy? Might be a better use of my time.

·
Premium Member
8,690 Posts
Mine's about due, I've been running an original i7 overclocked since they were new. Did move up to an SS drive a couple years ago, and a 1080Ti this year, which solved most of the issues I'd been having. But I do most things other than day to day surfing and banking on my iPad now, I will replace this with *something* when it dies but nothing expensive.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
But, it was ten years old. I built it myself from the highest-end components I could afford at the time.
I just ordered a 6yr old refurb for $100. Moving up to Windows 7 woohoo! :D
Really though, I was looking for a windows 7 computer and they are somewhat hard to find. All the 'MS authorized refurbishers' update everything to windows10. I think it's probably directed that way from microsoft.

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine's about due, I've been running an original i7 overclocked since they were new. Did move up to an SS drive a couple years ago, and a 1080Ti this year, which solved most of the issues I'd been having. But I do most things other than day to day surfing and banking on my iPad now, I will replace this with *something* when it dies but nothing expensive.
I still enjoy the occasional game and am experimenting with studio software, otherwise, like you, my iPad more than suffices.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts