The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I have a problem with my Mustang. I thought it was just the input jack, however, I am not entirely sure if it is and before I start messing around with it too much I want to ask some advice and see if I was correct.
Here is a link to a YouTube video which shows there's a hum when anything metal is touched on the guitar. There is some output when pickups are selected but it's not great.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer to diagnosing the problem. is it the pick up selectors, the pick ups themselves?

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Maybe a lose ground or cold solder on the grounding somewhere? I'm sure someone will be by in a minute who has infinite more knowledge than I do.

·
Premium Member
17,434 Posts
Have you eliminated the cable you are using a possible cause?

Often, if there is a ground continuity issue in the guitar wiring, touching the strings will make the 'humming' LESS.

I think you have the 'hot' signal communicating with the ground somewhere.

Possibly the wires on the output jack are reversed?

Also, check that the string/bridge, etc ground wire is soldered to a pot and communicating with the strings/bridge.

Wait for others to comment and see what they have to say.

Welcome to the GC forum!! Enjoy and post often.
I spent some time vacationing in Wales in the early 70's.
Beautiful!!
Where are you located in Wales?

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did all the idiot checks and the amp and cable are both fine.

The bridge to pot ground seems fine. There is only one wire going to the output jack.

Im in cardiff wales.

·
Premium Member
17,434 Posts
@Joshua Caole The wire going to the output jack might 'look' like it is only one wire ...but it might have a wire inside with a braided shield around it on the outside. The shield is actually the ground (as in the top pic of my post).

·
Premium Member
17,434 Posts
Sent a private message to you. It is called a 'conversation' in this forum and will appear in your 'Inbox' at the top right of your thread ...slightly above the search box. Apologies if you are familiar with all of this forum 'stuff'

·
Premium Member
17,434 Posts
llwyddiant!!

The yellow wire is the hot and should unsoldered (Edit: ERROR The yellow wire is soldered to the correct terminal in the pic) from where it is now and then soldered to the other terminal on the jack. (the 'hot' terminal that will touch the tip of the plug on the cable)

Solder a wire from the back of the volume potentiometer (aka "pot" ...like the other black ground wire is now) to the to the the terminal on the output jack (the 'sleeve') where the other part of the plug will make contact.

How are your soldering skills?
Soldering to the back of the pot can be a challenge.

IMG_0044.JPG

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Diolch! (thanks!)
What kind of wire would I need to buy as I've always been asking this question but never got a straight answer and it's ridiculous that I'm clueless as I used to sell electronics for a living.

·
Premium Member
17,434 Posts
I like 22 gauge AWG hookup wire.
20 or 24 gauge AWG would also be fine.
You don't need anything fancy.

pob lwc

Let us know about your progress/results.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I'm sorry to disagree, but the yellow wire is in the right place. Find any scrap of wire and attach it to the lug in the center, which is clearly the ground, and attach it to the back of one of the pots. Even if you don't have a soldering iron, you can twist it into place just to see if it will work, which I am sure it will.
You see the little green capacitor? There is a bit of wire that goes to the back of the pot. You can twist the wire around that to see if it works.
The strange thing, is why would it be missing in the first place??

·
Premium Member
17,434 Posts
'm sorry to disagree, but the yellow wire is in the right place.
OOOOPS...you are correct!!
Don't be sorry...you saved the OP a lot of work and frustration!!
I got caught up in getting the pic posted and really messed up.
Apologies to @Joshua Caole

I was trying to help with so much enthusiasm and made such a basic, stupid mistake.
GF^%@ *#*(
I will send the OP a PM after posting this.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts