The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm looking to buy a pod x3 from the states. I've checked ebay for shipping quotes, and got one for 30 dollars, but it's shipped by UPS. Last time I recieved something from UPS they charged me a disgusting amount of money for half the price of the item I ordered.

Musician's friend seems to be a pretty solid site though, and people always seem to link products from their site. Anybody dealt with them before? Do you guys have better dealers than MF?

Also, with ordering online, will taxes + duties + shippings add up to less than buying locally? Or am I better off buying local.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I wasn't sure what forum to put this under; this one seemed most appropriate to me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Thanks for the site. I might end up ordering from there rather than Musicians friends. Has a pretty good shipping rate. And don't ship by UPS (*hates ups*) Just wished they were only right across the border as opposed Utah, where this site is from.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MF and Music123 = American = charges.

LAMusic.ca and AxeMusic.com = Canadian.

http://lamusic.ca/default.asp?szNav=Product&PID=21447

http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?P_ID=16629

If you ever want to order from LAMusic make sure you e-mail or call to make sure they've got the product in stock... they're very, very bad at keeping track (whole thread dedicated to our experiences somewhere in the 'Electric Guitars' forum I believe).
Hey. Yeah I've checked both those sites. Lamusic sells it for about $70 more expensive. And I've emailed axe music almost a week ago, and they didn't get back to me.... gonna try to give them a call since they have the best price of all the distributors. Their site says on "special order."
Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
you'er in TO.. why not go to long and mcquades or steves?

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
you'er in TO.. why not go to long and mcquades or steves?
Ditto. No shipping. Might even have a demo unit to be tried.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steves says they won't get one until January... And LM says they will get them soon. But if you think about it, if I buy it from LM, they will charge 14% tax, as opposed to buying in a different province like alberta (axemusic). Where I only have to pay 6%, and shipping is free. And if I buy in the states somewhere, our dollar is stronger now, and customs and shipping should add up less than LM + tax.

Axemusic is the best option, only if they had it in stock though. And I have no idea when they will get them because they wont email me back (sent them 2 inquiries already..)

I want to save a little, but at the same time I want to get it soon. I got some good shipping rates on ebay, so I'm gonna actually phone axe later today to see if they have any or not. If not, I'm going to purchase on ebay.

Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Musicians Friend is shit IMO, stay away would be my reccomendation.
Noted. Thanks.

I just won a pod x3 on ebay with Best Offer that saved me a few bucks with express shipping. Everything went well, until he sent me a message today telling me they don't have any instock and they will get more by the end of the month... He said he can give me a refund, or I can wait and he will throw in a free monster guitar cable.. Also, isn't it against the rules to sell something on ebay that you don't have in stock? I'm pretty angry about this; the end of the month isn't close either..

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I'd just get the refund and wait patiently for it to be stock in Canada.

Wait for AxeMusic to get it in that way you only pay GST + shipping. Possibility that it'll come out cheaper then locally and if you order from the US you'll get nailed with charges.

Aside from that AxeMusic usually have the best prices and they've started marking products to keep up with our dollar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guys have you really researched all of the buying in the states? You mentioned about the extra charges that UPS charged you, that is called duties, brokerage and taxes. Also what if you have a problem with it? It goes back to where you bought it. No store in Canada would or should touch it under warranty as the stores buy them through Canadian Distribution and those distributors bought them direct from the manufacturer and those distribiutors are thus responsible for looking after warranties. They would not be responsible for product that they did not purchase and bring into Canada Yes it may seem cheaper to buy off of MF and those other companies but in the long run it could turn out more expensive once you take the extras under consideration even with the Cdn dollar as it is right now. Yes I will probably be flamed for this but sorry that's part of it. I could go on also about the more we Canadians buy from US stores the worse case scenario is we won't have local stores to go to to try out the new gear without taking a chance as those stores won't be able to stay open. I would sooner go locally and maybe what I think initially is paying more but at least have service after the fact.

Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts