The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone should buy these...I just can't understand why people pay thousands of dollars for gear and won't pay 150$ to save their hearing .

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I wear dB Blockers. Custom fitted through my work. I paid $80 for a second set so I can keep a pair with my gear and the other at work.

I've worn earplugs when I play since the early 90's. Used to wear foamies and later a clay-like plug. These dB Blockers are awesome though. They actually allow me to hear most of the frequencies wheras the foamies block a lot of the good stuff out. Took one out the other week for one song and I couldn't believe the ear-ache and ringing in the one ear after just a few minutes. Even cheap foamies take a bit to get used to, but well worth it in the long run IMO.

·
Premium Member
16,558 Posts
Coustfan'01 said:
Everyone should buy these...I just can't understand why people pay thousands of dollars for gear and won't pay 150$ to save their hearing .

I have another point of view.

If you need earplugs, you or someone in your band is TOO LOUD.

I believe in curing the root cause, not the symptom.

Here's another little gem for you. The guys wearing earplugs are in my experience the worst culprits for excessive volume and it's not difficult to figure out the reason.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Milkman said:

Here's another little gem for you. The guys wearing earplugs are in my experience the worst culprits for excessive volume and it's not difficult to figure out the reason.
Playing too loud isn't the root cause! The drummer doesn't have to hit a cymbal very loud when you are only 4 feet away to start causing damage. Just because your ears aren't ringing after a gig/practice doesn't mean you aren't damaging them.

Some people need their ears in top shape. I'm one of them I because of my pilot's physical, so saying you are too loud is just BS.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i've tried earplugs, but they interfere with my ability to properly hear what's going on, especially my guitar and vocals. better (for me) to keep the volume at a reasonable level, and don't stand too close to the drummer.

-dh

·
Premium Member
16,558 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
Playing too loud isn't the root cause! The drummer doesn't have to hit a cymbal very loud when you are only 4 feet away to start causing damage. Just because your ears aren't ringing after a gig/practice doesn't mean you aren't damaging them.

Some people need their ears in top shape. I'm one of them I because of my pilot's physical, so saying you are too loud is just BS.

Not BS at all. My opinion. Drummers CAN play with dynamics although too few actually do. I take an almost "studio" approach to playing live. If my drummer can't play with proper dynamics I use a plexi shield.

I can talk in a very slightly raised voice to the other guys on stage while we play. The audience might need protection, but we don't.

I get my hearing checked once a year and after thirty years or more of standing on stage I still hear high end that my kids can't.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Milkman said:

We're not cranking the volume after putting the plugs... We play just loud enough to keep up with the drums , and you don't have to hit a chinese cymbal or snare very hard to sound loud . And when you're playing in a room with a bad acoustic , things get ugly pretty fast .

And about the " guys who wear earplug play even louder" , that's not true from my experience . If you wear foam plugs maybe , because you can't hear a damn thing , but if you wear musicians plug you hear a lot better , and you start hearing things like the sound of the pick against the strings , etc... So I actually play less loud when I'm wearing earplug than when I'm not , because I can hear every instrument more clearly .

I think a lot of people try foam plugs and think it sucks , and don't even bother to try musicians plugs...And that's sad .

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Milkman said:
Not BS at all. My opinion. Drummers CAN play with dynamics although too few actually do. I take an almost "studio" approach to playing live. If my drummer can't play with proper dynamics I use a plexi shield.

I can talk in a very slightly raised voice to the other guys on stage while we play. The audience might need protection, but we don't.

I get my hearing checked once a year and after thirty years or more of standing on stage I still hear high end that my kids can't.
You seem to have a lot of good solutions at your disposal...But can you use plexi shield when you play in a basement , in a concrete room so small you can't move ? That's more like the reality of kids playing in small bands.

I'd be glad to have your chance though :wave:

·
Premium Member
16,558 Posts
Coustfan'01 said:
You seem to have a lot of good solutions at your disposal...But can you use plexi shield when you play in a basement , in a concrete room so small you can't move ? That's more like the reality of kids playing in small bands.

I'd be glad to have your chance though :wave:
Again, it's really a function of your drummer using dynamics. Saying it can't be done because of a cymbal or a snare drum is a cop out in my opinion. The truth is, I work with the guys in my band until they "get it". If someone can't hear themselves we NEVER get into the escalating volume syndrome. We re-aim the amp in question until the player hears himself. The drummer ends up playing quietly at rehearsals because if he doesn't he won't hear anyone else.

My experience as a sound man has been that guys wearing protectin tend to play too loud. Others may have different experiences.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Milkman said:

I do agree with what you are saying but some situations are beyond our control so I think a small investment in earplugs just to have in your pocket is a good idea. For example I was giggin this weekend out of town. Did I play too loud YEA, but it was a loud band, drummer hit really hard and at sound check the singer asked me to turn up. Not really my place to tell them to turn down, his band his call. Drummer had serious credentials, that's the way he plays, again not my call. Van was too tight for two guitars unlikly that a plexi shield would take up valuable realestate. So for me they are in my pocket, take them out when I need them and don't expect the world to change to suit me. And I agree best money I spent on gear so far.

·
Premium Member
16,558 Posts
aaron lowen said:
I do agree with what you are saying but some situations are beyond our control so I think a small investment in earplugs just to have in your pocket is a good idea. For example I was giggin this weekend out of town. Did I play too loud YEA, but it was a loud band, drummer hit really hard and at sound check the singer asked me to turn up. Not really my place to tell them to turn down, his band his call. Drummer had serious credentials, that's the way he plays, again not my call. Van was too tight for two guitars unlikly that a plexi shield would take up valuable realestate. So for me they are in my pocket, take them out when I need them and don't expect the world to change to suit me. And I agree best money I spent on gear so far.

I own a pair of custom moulded plugs. The only time I've had to wear them has been at concerts (as a listener).

The plexi shield folds flat and takes less room in the van than a guitar. It's a three sided enclosure with soft plastic hinges.

I don't freelance as a musician. I only play with my band. They're well trained.

I'm not knocking plugs if you think you need them. I'm just stating my opinion based on long years of experience.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I bought ER-15 db custom molded plugs. For my situation - small stage - very loud drummer - it has enabled me to keep playing. I had a poor fit for a few songs this weekend and once I got the plug seated everything was very clear, much clearer than without.

I do envy you Milkman it would be optimum to go au natural. In fact, I have just put in my notice with this band, and the stage voume was definetly a factor...

Mark.

·
Premium Member
16,558 Posts
Telemark said:
I bought ER-15 db custom molded plugs. For my situation - small stage - very loud drummer - it has enabled me to keep playing. I had a poor fit for a few songs this weekend and once I got the plug seated everything was very clear, much clearer than without.

I do envy you Milkman it would be optimum to go au natural. In fact, I have just put in my notice with this band, and the stage voume was definetly a factor...

Mark.
Bands are loud by nature, but to an extent, that's the result of old fashioned thinking and allowing drummers to play without dynamics. We use small amps on stage and side wash them so that they're pointing at our ears (not our rears).

I firmly believe in letting the PA do the heavy lifting and keeping stage volumes down. It takes a deliberate effort and cooperation from all players, but I assure you it can be done. I often have the drummer asking me to give him some guitar in the monitors. I'm happy to oblige as long as it doesn't cause him to ramp up the db.

·
Registered
561 Posts
best $150 I ever spent!!!!!!

even if playing is difficult, a typical gig is about 2-2.5 hours of playing while being in the club for say 6 hours. Using the plugs in the breaks makes a big difference in the exposure time, fatigue and ear damage....usually the DJ is louder and more distorted than anything musicians produce (but that's another story).

Andy

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
sysexguy said:
best $150 I ever spent!!!!!!
even if playing is difficult, a typical gig is about 2-2.5 hours of playing while being in the club for say 6 hours. Using the plugs in the breaks makes a big difference in the exposure time, fatigue and ear damage....usually the DJ is louder and more distorted than anything musicians produce (but that's another story). Andy

...good point!

however, i played a club in barrie a few years ago where the between set music was ungodly loud. worse, it was exceedingly cold - the only escape was to go sit in the car with the heater on.

-dh

·
Premium Member
16,558 Posts
david henman said:
...good point!

however, i played a club in barrie a few years ago where the between set music was ungodly loud. worse, it was exceedingly cold - the only escape was to go sit in the car with the heater on.

-dh

Definitely a good point. I always look for a quiet place to spend at least part of our breaks.

What I HATE more than anything is when they crank the DJ system after our final set when we're trying to tear down. I've had to "accidentally" unplug a cab or two to protect myself. Plugs are definitely a good option in that situation.

It's particularly bad when they crank certain obnoxious mid frequencies.

T

·
0 Posts
I had musician's plugs and hated them. Everything still felt dangerously loud using 25db filters, and every time I moved my jaw, it created gaps between the plug and my ear canal, and everything got louder. They aren't so bad if you're just standing there doing nothing, but for playing in a loud band and singing and moving around, there is no substitute for the standard 29db foam plugs. They are the only ones that really effectively take the edge off for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
"I've had to "accidentally" unplug a cab or two"

Did you know these people? If not that is totally not cool at all....

·
Premium Member
16,558 Posts
Smurf42 said:
"I've had to "accidentally" unplug a cab or two"

Did you know these people? If not that is totally not cool at all....
Dude, I've worked around Pa's for more than thirty years. Unplugging a cabinet directed at my head is self defense, particularly when they have ten in the club. The ones I refer to are on a dance floor that by that time is totally abandoned and I always plug them back in.

And of course I know the people. I play the same clubs all the time.

Now, back to the actual topic?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts