The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There is also a negative side."

Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)

"Mommy, when I grow up I want to be a musician!"
Now honey, you know you can't do both."

Anon

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
"Interviewer:

The notion of a "guitar solo" has preconceptions based on it;
people automatically refute it because it's supposed to be self-indulgent or
"for musicians." It's almost like things become iconographic and somehow lose
their value for outsiders.

Zappa:

Well, who's fault is that? That's what writers do. Musicians don't do that.
The average person doesn't sit around thinking about "iconographic problems
of a guitar solo."

Interview for Musician magazine, November 1991.

:bow:

·
Registered
365 Posts
"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music..."

Aldous Huxley

·
Premium Member
13,043 Posts
I'm with Paul on this one:

On the Parents Music Resource Center

"The PMRC proposal is an ill-conceived piece of nonsense which fails to deliver any real benefits to children, infringes the civil liberties of people who are not children, and promises to keep the courts busy for years dealing with the interpretational and enforcemental problems inherent in the proposal's design. It is my understanding that, in law, First Amendment issues are decided with a preference for the least restrictive alternative. In this context, the PMRC's demands are the equivalent of treating dandruff by decapitation. (...) The establishment of a rating system, voluntary or otherwise, opens the door to an endless parade of moral quality control programs based on things certain Christians do not like. What if the next bunch of Washington wives demands a large yellow "J" on all material written or performed by Jews, in order to save helpless children from exposure to concealed Zionist doctrine?" ...Frank Zappa

C

·
0 Posts
"You gotta sing, like you don't need the money
Love like you'll never get hurt
You gotta dance, like nobody's watching
It's gotta come from the heart
If you want it to work"
-Come From The Heart- Susannah Clark, Richard Leigh

"Fame doesn't take away the pain
It just pays the bills
And you wind up
On alcohol and pills."
-Fred Eaglesmith-

"At the end of the day
When all is said and done
You got your family
You got your band
You got your friends
And if you're really lucky
They're all one and the same"
-movie-, "Pray For Rock & Roll"

"F*ck all y'all for comin'!"
Guy Terrifico

(Language filters are lame)

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it. ~Henry David Thoreau

Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. ~John Lennon

I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be thinking up something else. ~Lily Tomlin

The scratches in Yoko Ono records are moments of relief. ~S.A. Sachs

I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to. ~Elvis Presley

Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness. ~Maya Angelou

(posted by noteethleroy)

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
"If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are. Why are we rock stars? Because we're morons. We sleep all day, we play music at night and very rarely do we sit around reading the Washington Journal."

Alice Cooper...........

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
One of my favorites is from Keith Richards, describing his open-G style of playing, saying it takes "Five strings, three chords, two fingers, and one a$$hole."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts