The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anybody here keeps track of their income and expenses for tax purposes. Things like write offs(gear/travel/etc) against income. Anyone doing this so they can write off the cost of buying new gear? Is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
I did for about 5 years, but never got audited. I havent needed to do it for many years though, because there is no more income. In some cases you actually have to report the income and expenses because if you get paid for playing where the government is involved in the promotion they will issue you a T slip to report the payments. If you dont include those payments in your return they will audit you.........

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paul..

That's exactly what I thought. Too much agro for what it's worth. Thanks for pointing out the RRSP contribution limits.....never thought of that.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...in my band, we keep all receipts even remotely related to performing etc.

as well, i include the rent for my studio, and all related costs.

in february/march, we turn everything over to a savvy but conscienciously "above board" accountant.

it has worked out very well.

-dh

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've done it off and on for years, always declaring a loss, with no problem at all. As long as it's not a huge amount, I don't think they care.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
here's what can happen

A Long time ago in a land far away I played with a fellow at a certain gov't affiliated watering hole on a regular basis. We were a four piece band playing for union scale plus, i.e we did a five way split, two for the leader and one for each of the other three guys.
The establishment paid the leader by cheque, and he brought enough cash to pay the three sidemen. So the folks at revenue Canada audited the gov't institution and duly noted cheques made out to our leader going back a few years. Being the curious types they are,they decided to audit his taxes and, guess what? no mention of said income: he was ordered to pay delinquent taxes and interest, and fines totalling $5000.00; worst of it was he paid our share too, on money he didn't get!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts