The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would start a thread on suggestions for bios to read. A friend mentioned a few to me and I ordered: No Quarter - The three lives of Jimmy Page. A recent release and apparently the definitive book on Page at over 600 pages.

The other one I'm looking forward to receiving is Glyn Johns: Sound Man. Legendary producer of Zep, Eagles, The Who and many more.

Other recommendations were ; Graham Nash and Joe Jackson biographies which are on my want list.

My all time favorite is the bio "Shakey" on Neil Young. I'm not the biggest Young fan but this bio is well written and a lot of work was put into it. It has an interesting format whereby at the end of a chapter or segment, Neil Young comments on the said segment.

Any bios to recommend or favorites?

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Just finished "Testimony" by Robbie Robertson of The Band. Very interesting story.

Other good ones..
Magical Mystery Tours: My Life with The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tours: My Life with the Beatles eBook: Tony Bramwell, Rosemary Kingsland: Amazon.ca: Kindle Store

Reckless: My Life as a Pretender (Chrissy Hynde) - https://www.amazon.ca/Reckless-My-L...75896&sr=8-1&keywords=reckless+chrissie+hynde

The Wrecking Crew: The Inside Story of Rock and Roll's Best Kept Secret - The Wrecking Crew: The Inside Story of Rock and Roll's Best-Kept Secret: Kent Hartman: 9780312619749: Books - Amazon.ca

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just finished "Testimony" by Robbie Robertson of The Band. Very interesting story.

Other good ones..
Magical Mystery Tours: My Life with The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tours: My Life with the Beatles eBook: Tony Bramwell, Rosemary Kingsland: Amazon.ca: Kindle Store

Reckless: My Life as a Pretender (Chrissy Hynde) - Reckless: My Life as a Pretender: Chrissie Hynde: 9780345816245: Books - Amazon.ca

The Wrecking Crew: The Inside Story of Rock and Roll's Best Kept Secret - The Wrecking Crew: The Inside Story of Rock and Roll's Best-Kept Secret: Kent Hartman: 9780312619749: Books - Amazon.ca
I've added those to my list. thx.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Just thought of another couple...

I am Ozzy - I Am Ozzy: Written by OZZY OSBOURNE, 1905 Edition, Publisher: Grand Central Publishing [Hardcover]: OZZY OSBOURNE: 8601420770768: Books - Amazon.ca
I actually laughed out loud at some parts. For a guy who's barely intelligible when you hear him speak, he writes quite well!

Heroin Diaries - The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shattered Rock Star: Nikki Sixx: 9781416511946: Books - Amazon.ca
Seeing Motley Crue's "Dirt" listed above made me think of this one. Amazing what some people can live through!

·
Registered
67 Posts
here are a few I enjoyed:

mostly a biog of Joao Gilberto and Antonio Carlos Jobim

Bossa Nova: The Story of the Brazilian Music That Seduced the World

by Ruy Castro

much better than Sting's autobio:
One Train Later: A Memoir
by Andy Summers

producer of Pink Floyd, Nick Drake, Fairport Convention, REM and many others
White Bicycles: Making Music in the 1960s
by Joe Boyd

music producer
Tony Visconti: The Autobiography: Bowie, Bolan and the Brooklyn Boy

by Tony Visconti

suprisingly good and I'm not really a fan:
Autobiography

by Morrissey

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
A few off the top of my head.

Keith Richards-Life
Graham Nash-Wild Tales
Michael Bloomfield-The Rise and Fall of An American Guitar Hero
Sammy Hager-Red
Nick Mason(Pink Floyd)-Inside Out
Ace Frehley-No Regrets
Frank Zappa-The Real Frank Zappa Book
Jim Morrison-No One Gets Out Alive

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
"Paul McCartney - the Life" - 2016 bio by Philip Norman.

Norman wrote a bio on the Beatles (Shout) in the late 70s that seemed to paint Paul as a lightweight and gave John all the props for the writing. He was surprised to have Paul's blessing to do this book and I think he did a very fair treatment. I learned a lot about the Beatles - and that was only the first 3rd of the book. Excellent read, IMO, even if you've read a dozen Beatles bios already.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/05/books/review/paul-mccartney-the-life-by-philip-norman.html?_r=0

Reactions: Alex

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
And if I could be so bold as put up one I could barely get through:

Waging Heavy Peace - Neil Young

Meandering, rambling stream-of-consciousness stuff. Perhaps if you love Neil, you'll love this. I don't - and I didn't.

·
Registered
15,747 Posts
This one splits time between music & fishing--Classical guitarist Christopher Parkening- Grace Like A River: A Journey From Success To Joy
And I enjoyed Alice Cooper's Alice Cooper: Golf Monster. It's split between golf & music.
Randy Bachman has a couple as well-Vinyl Tap Stories & Tales from Beyond the Tap.
I found those more interesting than his older bios...
Clapton:The Autobiography was good too.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple.

Reactions: Alex

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Roy Clark has been a favourite of mine since I was a little kid. I read his biography a few years back and was one of the most interesting to date.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
"Blues All Around Me: The Autobiography of BB King"

If he did half of what/who he said he did, then Magic Johnson and Gene Simmons have nothing on him. Some great stories about traveling the Chitlin circuit, too.

Reactions: zontar
1 - 20 of 27 Posts