The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok a while ago someone here mentioned that “ an multi effect unit would be better for me than a bunch of pedals” and as normal I was like “ no I know what I want”

surprise no I didn’t 😂 i like the pedals but they are so messy and hard to keep clean and organized and just gets way too expensive too quickly.

I had a boss gt6 that I halfway like but there was only room for 5 effects and you couldn’t program It for example 2x delay,2x drive ect .

but in the recent years there’s been a bunch of new ones come out and there’s so many and I have no idea where to start even looking at.

so here’sthe big question, is there a new multi effects board that will allow you let’s say use between 6-8 different effects and have multiple of one effect but set up differently from each other?

I know I saw a few members with the newer line 6 Helix and head rush boards and the boss gt 1000 looks neat .

Any insight on the helix and head rush or any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance the foolish fella that is slowly learning I should start taking the advice I’m given a little more seriously

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
I saw this pop up on YouTube yesterday - it may help answer your question. I like the Boss GT-1, but the Boss MS-3 might also be a good fit - it is a switcher and multi-effects pedal combined, so you can use your existing external pedals and fill in what you don't have (or don't want to buy) with the internal effects. The MS-3 effects are identical to the GT-1 IIRC.

Reactions: silvertonebetty

·
Premium Member
19,932 Posts
Also you only need 1 delay/reverb instance if you can change what that delay/reverb type is per patch/preset. For example one delay block in a fractal fm3 has 4 channels. That is 4 unique sounds using one block.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Current production multi effect pedals can do that and alot more. You have options that range in price range drastically, so It boils down to what you want/need. While I can recommend a Helix or a Fractal unit, is that much more than you need? Probably.
How much are you looking to spend? Are you looking for something you can edit quickly on the unit itself? Or do you prefer in depth editing via laptop/computer connection? Also how important is having a unit with high quality effects (overdrives, delays, reverbs). And lastly form factor, are you limited to how large of a multi effects pedal you want? And are you playing through an amp? Or want a unit with amp simulation?

·
Registered
994 Posts
so here’sthe big question, is there a new multi effects board that will allow you let’s say use between 6-8 different effects and have multiple of one effect but set up differently from each other?
Even my older Zoom G3X will do that. I can run 6 effects simultaneously, any order I wish, and can repeat them at will and change any parameter. The newer version allows up to 7. I know some people will look down on the zoom units, but I don't think any multi-effect unit is as practical and easy for on-the-fly use and/or editing, especially in a gig situation. The beauty of the design is that it feels like a pedalboard, and there's a dedicated screen and dedicated knobs for each "pedal".

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Current production multi effect pedals can do that and alot more. You have options that range in price range drastically, so It boils down to what you want/need. While I can recommend a Helix or a Fractal unit, is that much more than you need? Probably.
How much are you looking to spend? Are you looking for something you can edit quickly on the unit itself? Or do you prefer in depth editing via laptop/computer connection? Also how important is having a unit with high quality effects (overdrives, delays, reverbs). And lastly form factor, are you limited to how large of a multi effects pedal you want? And are you playing through an amp? Or want a unit with amp simulation?
Good questions

I’d like high quality effects

I have a pc but it basically dead ☠ but I like fine tuning thing

once set it will probably never be changed lol

I’m not currently looking to gig but occasionally we like playing at church and plugging into the sound system and being able to leave the amp at home would be nice .

I’ll probably just be running it through my 74 twin or 79 Mesa

price Um what I think is fair and what im willing are completely different things all together.

I favourite a bunch on reverb between $700 - $1000
Rage and I know the boss gt1000 is out of that price range lol but it looks

And lastly I’d like something that that can have the following available at a drop of a dime
Tuner, reverb , delay ,volume/ auto swelchorus, od , tremolo

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
I would either get an Hx effects. You can use 6 different effects and put them wherever you want. you could have 6 delays if you wanted.
or get a used line 6 m9/m13 which will be fine for whatever you want.
I wouldn’t get a helix or one of the ones that does amp modeling because you dint need it and they are more expensive Generally.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I just sold my Headrush a couple days ago because I switched to something else but they are a great option because the touch screen makes them very easy to edit.

I've also heard good things about the Nux MG-30 but haven't tried one myself.

Both units are full modelling rigs so they also include amps and cabs/IRs. To use them as just effects units don't put any amps or cabs in the signal chain.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Given he’s new to it I would wade in before suggesting an fm3 or similar. Boss ES-3, line6 hx fx, boss GT-1000, hell line6 multi of old (not the POD, name escapes me). Something he can rent from l&m and feel out.
Well I had a boss gt6 for a good while and a had an old zoom thing once before . Also my McQuades has nothing like that for rent 😂

probably not what you are after but a less expensive solution for just having good fx is the boss ms3. I have one and Ive been using it for years. Its a great piece of gear and very versatile
I saw one of those but have no clue how that would work lol

·
Premium Member
28,529 Posts
Usability is correlated with number of options***. When I chatted with Chris Kemper a few summers back at NAMM, one of the things that impressed me about him was his noting that he could have included a lot more options in the Kemper Profiler (and he showed me some areas where he could have included more menu-diving), but felt that would reduce the usability.

Ideally, a piece of music gear should let the user get to the music quickly and painlessly, without having to consult a manual. I understand the desire to have EVERYTHING. Hell, I'm surrounded by knobs and switches and circuit boards all day. But one's choice of multi-FX should begin with "What do I need this to do for me, and why do I need that?", rather than "Which of these has more stuff?". Not a criticism of the OP, but rather a strategy for arriving at a satisfactory solution, that remains satisfactory, even as more and more products arrive on the scene each week.

***I should have said inversely correlated. In other words, the more options, the more cumbersome it is for the user. That's part of why 3-knob pedals remain as popular as they do. It's also why some players prefer to have a bunch of individual pedals over a multi-FX. They can simply reach down and "edit" the pedal directly.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Usability is correlated with number of options. When I chatted with Chris Kemper a few summers back at NAMM, one of the things that impressed me about him was his noting that he could have included a lot more options in the Kemper Profiler (and he showed me some areas where he could have included more menu-diving), but felt that would reduce the usability.

Ideally, a piece of music gear should let the user get to the music quickly and painlessly, without having to consult a manual. I understand the desire to have EVERYTHING. Hell, I'm surrounded by knobs and switches and circuit boards all day. But one's choice of multi-FX should begin with "What do I need this to do for me, and why do I need that?", rather than "Which of these has more stuff?". Not a criticism of the OP, but rather a strategy for arriving at a satisfactory solution, that remains satisfactory, even as more and more products arrive on the scene each week.
No that’s a logical way of thinking about it, instead of my impulsive “I want that, click and bought” 😂

The squire was like that and so was the guild and I wasn’t happy with it . $1070 out the window on a guitar I ended up hating almost everything about besides the looks.

move been fortunate with the squier not feeling like anything actually needs to be changed and I knew what I wanted in a lesPaul and I hardly put it down since I got it , like really played it so much the strings are all ready changing colours

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I saw this pop up on YouTube yesterday - it may help answer your question. I like the Boss GT-1, but the Boss MS-3 might also be a good fit - it is a switcher and multi-effects pedal combined, so you can use your existing external pedals and fill in what you don't have (or don't want to buy) with the internal effects. The MS-3 effects are identical to the GT-1 IIRC.

I’ll have to watch this when I get home

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
I just sold my Headrush a couple days ago because I switched to something else but they are a great option because the touch screen makes them very easy to edit.

I've also heard good things about the Nux MG-30 but haven't tried one myself.

Both units are full modelling rigs so they also include amps and cabs/IRs. To use them as just effects units don't put any amps or cabs in the signal chain.
I have an mg 30. The presets aren’t great, and you have to set up the preferences to cut some high end, but you can get some great sounds from it. It was marketed poorly as a budget rig to compete with an axefx, which it doesn’t really do, but still has a decent amount of amps and effects with some great sounds.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts